Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there folks. I've just gotten into archery and am wondering what kind of routine people have when it comes to practicing. Things I'm particularly interested in are warm up/stretches, and how you go about setting up for the shot. Any minor detail to you, may be just what I'm looking for so don't worry about boring me. I just am curious what some of the more experienced folks do out there. Also any anchoring/shooting tips would be appreciated! Do's and Don'ts would be great to!:darkbeer:

·
Registered
484 Posts
I normally pick up my bow and my hip quiver, walk out the back door and proceed to my shooting area and start letting the arrows fly. Nothing fancy just shooting. I used to have BAD target panic and then i started shooting with a looser grip and making the bow fall toward the target after the shot and it helped alot.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Simple plan... I like it.

Anyone with stretches they include?

Also does anyone perform excercises that are archery related to help this, that or the other aspect of your shooting?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I always shoot 3-5 arrows at point blank range with my eyes closed at the start and end of practice which is usually 30 arrows or less over an hour or less. The idea is to concentrate on form and release, really helps me avoid target panic also. This was a tip from Randy Ulmers tips. I also shoot at least 4 days a week even if only 6 arrows indoors in the off season at home. JIm

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I have found that holding weights out at arm's length really helps build muscles to help hold steadier. Hold it for several seconds and relax...repeat. And those crazy arm circles we had to do in elementary gym class help, too.:D I also try to stretch the muscles between my shoulder blades and shoulder muscles as well. I have found that taking a couple ibuprofen a couple hours before I shoot (for it's anti-inflammatory benefit) coupled with the stretching helps me hold better and feel less discomfort. I feel fresher at the end of the shoot and finish the game stronger after exercising and stretching.

Others on here can give you a better pre-shot sequence than I can. Mine works for me, but not sure about what you need to work on in yours. I can tell you that consistency in setup and going through a consistent routine gets you points, though, and it starts at your feet.:D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have found that holding weights out at arm's length really helps build muscles to help hold steadier. Hold it for several seconds and relax...repeat. And those crazy arm circles we had to do in elementary gym class help, too.:D I also try to stretch the muscles between my shoulder blades and shoulder muscles as well. I have found that taking a couple ibuprofen a couple hours before I shoot (for it's anti-inflammatory benefit) coupled with the stretching helps me hold better and feel less discomfort. I feel fresher at the end of the shoot and finish the game stronger after exercising and stretching.

Others on here can give you a better pre-shot sequence than I can. Mine works for me, but not sure about what you need to work on in yours. I can tell you that consistency in setup and going through a consistent routine gets you points, though, and it starts at your feet.:D
Anything thats going to help me hold steadier is definitely appreciated! If it makes a difference I'm wanting to be able to shoot kneeling/sitting/standing/in a tree/bent over backwards (ok not the last one but you get the idea)

Anything for those muscles between your shoulder blades? I don't want to get muscled up to the point of having a hunchback, but would like to work on strengthening them for shooting. That is one place where I feel some wear after a few hours practicing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
bent over rows for being able to hold longer and draw more normally i just go out the back door start at 60 yards shoot 8 or so arrows do the same thing all the way up to about 20 yards repeat if im board

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm a firm believer in making every shot count.Instead of just flinging a bunch of arrows. You can usually tell when your muscles have had enough.So instead of fireing a bunch more not perfect shots just take a break for a while and come back fully rested to shoot more perfect arrows.Shooting fatigued just causes bad habits.Bad habits are easier to avoid rather than get rid of.

·
Registered
592 Posts
this is what I do:Step up to the marker, or when hunting if possible stand up, set my feet sholder with perpendicular to the target, pick a spot to shoot at, estimate the yardage, take a deep breath and breath out slowly as I draw back, ancor, start with my bow low, float the pin slowly until it covers the spot I want to hit, sqeeze the trigger, and try to keep your bow arm from dropping or jerking from side to side, In the words of Archery champion Terry wunderle "If you notice your bow arm going down or to the side your screwed." Dont concentrate on aiming, strive for awareness of your form and acuracy will follow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.