Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I am going to replace the string on my bow for the fist time and just keep asking myself:

What is the best/easiest way to re-install nockpoint and peep on the new string? How to achieve this with a minimum of tuning-efforts afterwards?

Do you measure your old bow string in terms of peep- and nock-point hight? And what is your reference-point then? Middel of bow-string?
And how do you make sure to set exactly the same draw-length agin?

Let me know: What's your trick?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Legolas,

Get a bow square. Measure your nock point and mark it on the scale on your bow square. Then use the inch scale to measure the peep height from the top of the nock to a referendce point on the peep, and mark that measurement on the square. (I use Fletcher Tru-Peeps and use the point of the tie-in groove as a reference.) I also take some clear tape and cover the marks to keep them from rubbing off. When shooting and a "mystery" shot happens, I pull out the square and take a quick look at my measurements to verify that nock and peep are correct. When you replace the string, you have your critical measurements right there. You can also use the square to keep other critical measurements written on, such as tiller, axle length, brace, etc. And it makes a dandy "target guts" remover for your arrows.. :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Take your old string off, pull it tight on a string jig or something and measure it. Put the new string on and install a nock point on it just eyeballing that the arrow sits about parrallel. Now shoot the bow at close range into a bag target 50-100 times if using a no stretch type of string or 200-300 for other types. Now take the string back off and measure it again. Put the twists in as needed to equal the length of the old string and put in back on bow. This should put your bow back to the same draw as your old setup. Now you can setup your nockpoint and peep placement and tune it in. Good luck and God bless. ;)

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Couple other tricks I've used:

Before taking the old string off, mark the cam(s) with a visible line using the limb as the reference.

Remove old string, still intact with the nock points and peep, lay the new string alongside the old and mark on the new string where the nock points and peep will need to go. You can even mark where the center serving starts/stops if you want to match that as well.

Put the new string on the bow, install the peep, nock sets, etc. on the marks, then take the tension off the bow press and observe where the cam marks line up with the limbs. Add twists to re-align as needed. Shoot a bunch of arrows and re-twist until the cam marks maintain alignment with the limbs.

Should keep the tune, draw length, etc. all very, very close to what it was prior to replacing the bowstring.

Method I've used on ocassion anyways...............

>>---------->

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx, folks!

A lot of extremely helpful hints and tips here........ most important thing I identified on my to-do-list is: "Take your time, and think about it first, whatever you do"

I am very optimistic I will be able to change the string with minimum tuning-efforts afterwards.

Thank you again, guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts