• 3-4 inch

Votes: 39 26.9%
  • 4-6 inch

Votes: 35 24.1%
  • 6 inch+

Votes: 10 6.9%

What is your worst group size on an average day of shooting

2026 27
Choose your answer based on your largest group, not your smallest. I know some guys will say some small numbers, but i want realistic numbers
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
glad to see that some people will admit that not every shot is perfect, but also nice to see that we have a lot of professional archers that can always shoot a 300 with 60x, even if they have a "flyer" to make their group as large as 2"

· Archer
8,693 Posts
I actually don't shoot groups. I'm not the greatest shot in the world but even I would be ruining a lot of arrows if I shot groups at 20 yards. But judging by how I shoot with an occassional flyer I'd say my largest group at 20 yards would be in the 4-6 inch range.

HOWEVER...for internet purposes I'm going to say the largest group I've ever shot was 0 - .000125 of an inch. :tongue:

· Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually don't shoot groups. I'm not the greatest shot in the world but even I would be ruining a lot of arrows if I shot groups at 20 yards. But judging by how I shoot with an occassional flyer I'd say my largest group at 20 yards would be in the 4-6 inch range.

HOWEVER...for internet purposes I'm going to say the largest group I've ever shot was 0 - .000125 of an inch. :tongue:
A lot of internet archers around here, I would say my largest group with an occasional flyer is in the 4-6 range, although i don't shoot very many groups at 20 yards because most of the time they are much smaller groups.

· Archer
8,693 Posts
Choose your answer based on your largest group, not your smallest. I know some guys will say some small numbers, but i want realistic numbers

Good luck. Most of us are on here because we're trying to escape from reality. If we wanted to deal with telling the truth we'd all be marching up the stairs right now to tell our wives they need to lose about 20 pounds. :eek2:

· Registered
495 Posts
If we wanted to deal with telling the truth we'd all be marching up the stairs right now to tell our wives they need to lose about 20 pounds. :eek2:

Funny, that's what she tells me!:teeth:

· Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good luck. Most of us are on here because we're trying to escape from reality. If we wanted to deal with telling the truth we'd all be marching up the stairs right now to tell our wives they need to lose about 20 pounds. :eek2:

very true, but I just don't understand why someone needs to lie about their abilities over the internet. Does it make them any more of a man (or woman)?

MY only problem with this forum is that it is pretty much overran with people that say that you need to be professional level in order to be out in the field hunting. I say if they can do a ethical size group with flyers, let them hunt, the largest average group is probably what an individual can expect while hunting in the field.

In another thread people are bashing a 4" group with the recurve, but here most people are saying they have groups(might only be a group or 2, but they do have at least one) in the 4+ range on an average day. So is everyone saying that over 50% of the people on this website shouldn't hunt because a 4+" group isn't ethical?

· Registered
181 Posts
I dont shoot groups per se. I have multiple spots on my target and shoot 3 different spots, however, the composite group would be in the 3-4 inch range. I shot groups at one time, but I started to split my $7 arrows, and it quickly got expensive.

· Registered
1,696 Posts
In another thread people are bashing a 4" group with the recurve, but here most people are saying they have groups(might only be a group or 2, but they do have at least one) in the 4+ range on an average day. So is everyone saying that over 50% of the people on this website shouldn't hunt because a 4+" group isn't ethical?
Yeah, I really don't get that other thread. Many people would shoot at a deer at 40 yards if they can hold a 4" group at that distance, but if you shoot a 4" group at 20, you shouldn't be able to hunt :rolleyes:

· Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I really don't get that other thread. Many people would shoot at a deer at 40 yards if they can hold a 4" group at that distance, but if you shoot a 4" group at 20, you shouldn't be able to hunt :rolleyes:
People just get some kind of internet high, thinking that they are better than everyone else, I personally think that those people are some of the most destructive to our sport because they think everyone needs to be perfect in order to hunt, if that was the case we would have very few hunters.

I am just surprised that around 20% of the archers on this site can shoot a 300 60x on an average day of shooting (the center is 1 5/8" i think, and the average arrow is .3", so that means in order to touch the circle you would need a 2 1/4" group about in order to shoot a 300 60x)

Makes me afraid to start shooting target if there are that many great archers out there

· Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As of right now 13 people have said their largest groups would be 4 inches or more. Which means 13 people either need shooting lessons or internet exaggeration lessons. :angel:

:darkbeer:
I think you found the ticket there, i have had those exaggeration lessons for the past 2 years and still i fall into the honest 4 inches or more category, i guess i should maybe have said 2" so i could feel better about myself...until i see someone here at the range and they see a flyer that is 1-2" out of my regular group.

· Registered
28,629 Posts
I hate repetition. I cannot stand there and enjoy shooting lots of arrows at the same spot. So I tend to lose interest shooting at bulls eyes. Vegas ain't for me. 60 arrows at animal targets holds me more focused. 5 inch groups on a bum day would be a fair assessment. Doesn’t mean I can’t hit an arrow knock (on a bet) once in a while at 20 yards though.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
From 20 yards.......if any arrow is outside of 3" I did something really wrong......or the bow is out of tune.

That being said......I occasionally do something really wrong, but I doubt my group size would ever be greater than 4" from 20 yards. I have a 100-yard rifle target with the black 6" center that I put up in the corner of my 48"x48" Block target. I use it from 60 yards a lot and will shoot 100's of arrows at it before it gets torn up pretty bad. After 100's of shots I rarely ever put one outside the black.

· Registered
1,586 Posts
oops i clicked on smallest....sorry...my real answer for largest group on average is 2-3 inches and any more than that is just a bad shot....Its twenty yards for gosh sakes we have little things called sights and another little thing called a peep sight and you line them up and shoot where they aim at and you should be really close if you have them sighted in what so ever lol... Nah but seriously it just takes some practice and most ppl will be able to do that...3 inch spread at twenty yards isnt really fabulous....it isnt bad either so its just average

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.