Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a lot of post mostly by up and comers to archery hunting about spooking game or being winded.... so I thought I would share some things that I do in order to be scent free in the woods and have been very successful when done consistenly. Others are going to have there methods that work for them and have been successful as well...the guys that have been hunting a while are probably doing similar stuff and is not meant to demean or insult anyones intelligence...this more for helping young hunters or older ones who have just never followed a system to be scent free.... If you have something you feel fellow hunters can benefit from please post them...

1st we are 6 weeks away from the season, so I have already started washing all my every day cloths in scent free/UV free detergent. I do this because I go scouting when ever I get the chance and I want to be able to grab my hunting camo and go and not have to find the one or two things I washed in scent free detergent. the day or days I go scouting I can jump in the shower wash with scent-away soap and shampoo then throw any socks, boxers, shirt, pants on and know they are all scent free. This includes the towel I dry off with and washcloth I wash my face with and all hand towels. I have scent free bar soap at each sink so no matter where I wash my hands I remain scent free and dry my hands with scent free towel in the house. I do not use a fabric softener obviously, they have earthy ones but I just use none at all and deal with static, it's only for a few months.

I keep all my hunting cloths in a plastic container that I washed with scent free soap when I first bought it. My cloths always stay outside as well as boots in the container.

I wear my scent free street cloths to the hunting location then I change into my scent free hunting cloths. I strip down on the side of the road if it's not in a busy area or I drag my bucket out into the woods and change. I change everything but my underwear. Usually the boots I wear to the area will not be scent free so I change my socks as well. After I am bare bottomed It is important to note that the first thing I put on is a pair of scent free gloves! I have a pair of gloves that are to small so they fit like a rubber glove that way I can get dressed without issue of bulky gloves getting in the way. If you get dressed touching all your cloths with the oils on your skin you just defeated the whole process, I then change into a little bigger pair of gloves that is more comfortable. I leave the bucket in the woods so when I come back out I change back into my street cloths before leaving.

About a week before the season I take my double pillow case(2 doubled up pillow cases washed in scent free detergent) out of my bucket and go to the area near where I will be hunting then fill it with grass, dirt, acorns, moss, ferns, twigs, deer droppings...etc tie it in a knot then each day after the first use before going out I can throw it in the dryer with my cloths and refresh that woods smell in them. I run the pillow case with all the stuff in it under the water just enough to get a little water in the pillow case(don't soak it) this will get those aromas going from all the woodsy stuff in the case. Again make sure you don't use any kind of fabric softener in the dryer for a good 6 weeks before the season.

If I use my atv to access an area I will spray scent killer on my legs, butt and back side any place I touched the atv. I also spray the atv down before use with scent killer on a rag. I always think about the exhaust but I have never been busted so what I'm doing is working.

I also spray my bow down with scent killer(you can use any scent spray on the market I really don't think this step matters) as long as you spray your bow with something.

I sometimes use white oak acorns as a cover/attractant for my boot bottoms and hat band while hunting. I gather the white oak acorns( use what ever is in your area) and then crush and boil them in a pot of water I don't use much water because I want it to be potent I then let it cool and strain it into spray bottle(make sure it is clean) thru a clean cheese cloth then spray on boot bottoms before walking into woods and hat band after sweating....I have never been a fan of cover/attractan scents on the market and this is as close to all natural you can get...

On my way to the stand I avoid all contact with any tree and bushs as much as possible. Even thou I am scent free and have gloves on deer like dogs can ground scent and tell if an area has been disturbed by where you touch and step from broken vegitation under your feet or where you rub the bark off a tree or break a branch....

I hope this helps some of you....this is one of the steps I take to get deer under my feet while hunting(most of you know who have read my UV thread that the other step for me is being UV free)

This It's my 2 cents....

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
I use my atv to access an area I will spray scent killer on my legs, butt and back side any place I touched the atv. I also spray the atv down before use with scent killer on a rag. I always think about the exhaust but I have never been busted so what I'm doing is working
So if you ever get busted someday are you gona assume it was because of the exhaust?

Your post is a good one but I find it pretty funny also. Like you are really scent free. LOL I mean you spray scent killer on your butt after riding your ATV and 'Walaa' scent free.

I like your focus. I'm a little OCD with the being scent free also but you got me beat.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if you ever get busted someday are you gona assume it was because of the exhaust? It could be, but like I said I have not been busted yet and think I have just about everything else covered..

Your post is a good one but I find it pretty funny also. Like you are really scent free. LOL I mean you spray scent killer on your butt after riding your ATV and 'Walaa' scent free. Like I said it has worked so far and I do wipe the atv down real good..hey at least I'm keeping you entertained..lol

I like your focus. I'm a little OCD with the being scent free also but you got me beat.
I don't think you can ever go to far to try and fool there noses, I really do believe this process has contributed greatly to why I see so many deer whithin 10-15 yards of my stand and feeding where I walked in..

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
I don't think you can ever go to far to try and fool there noses, I really do believe this process has contributed greatly to why I see so many deer whithin 10-15 yards of my stand and feeding where I walked in..
your very detailed about being scent free....but what about the exhaust?? you must be playing the wind very well because the exhaust i would worry more about then the scent you might get off the seat of the atv:confused:

i see alot of deer to at 15 yards and very rarley get busted....I play the wind:wink: i try to be scent free but its not going to happen 100% so i just play greater attention to the wind and stand placement if the wind is wrong i wont hunt that spot.

if it works for you thats great:)

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
WTAILHUNTER-- I'm serious when I say your post is a good one. I'm very careful with my clothes and dress outside or in the woods and start washing all my clothes and my body with scent free soaps a month before the season opens. I store all my hunting things in containers with dirt and cedar branches.

But I still know I stink and keep the wind in my face as much as possible.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I admire your efforts - and maybe you're doing
it right and I'm doing it wrong.
I wash my hunting clothing with Tide when they
get dirty.
I hang hanging stuff in the closet and put fold
up stuff in assorted dresser drawers.
I enjoy my coffee, then dress in the house (camp,
lodge, whatever...) then go where ever I'm going - using
the easiest route possible.
And in South Texas, often I'm more worried about
brushing up against a rattlesnake than a mesquite limb.
Though I do my best to avoid prickly pear.

My blinds and stands are well hidden and I don't move
around much or make noises.
I monitor the wind direction and make sets accordingly.
If the wind is wrong for a particular blind - I go to
another one.

I hunt the wind and I kill deer - mature deer - I don't shoot
youngsters, neither bucks nor does.
Maybe I don't kill as many as some, nor as big.

But it is my belief - that you can wrap yourself in plastic
and breathe through a straw...
If the wind ain't right - a deer can still sort out human odor.

So I make it as easy on myself as I can.
Too much work can take the fun out of anything -
particularly when most of all that work don't
work anyway.

Ronnie

·
Just Do It.....
30,252 Posts
It is my opinion that a deer can definately pick human odor out if downwind.
I can minimize the amount of human odor that I have around me, or leave behind.
I try to hunt with clothes w/o UV brighteners.
I dont wash my hunting clothes in detergent with UV brighteners.
I store my hunting clothes/gear in airtight bags/bins that contain cedar boughs.
My favorite place for a treestand or blind is a cedar tree, cut and break boughs and its a natural, free cover scent.
It is really not that much extra work, and it works for me.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A lot of good things guys...With all that I do I have to point out that I never hunt the wind I have deer come in directly down wind without a clue I'm there... I wear an x-static face mask always and take chloraphill tabs before the hunt as my internal deodorant..

All I can say is I could care less about the wind and I never have been busted, I hunt where the deer are and it is very seldom that I do not see deer when I hunt even here in NH. most of which are within bow range. The only thing I may be doing different then most is being 100% UV free..IMO not being UV free will most often get you busted long before your scent has a chance to get you busted..

·
Banned
7,286 Posts
Take all these steps and more and still a deer can wind when it gets downwind...

There is NO WAY to become totally 100% scent free, IMO.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I think you're all missing one important, vital step.

http://nullo.com/

Therapeutic Uses of Chlorophyllin

Internal Deodorant

Observations in the 1940s and 1950s that topical chlorophyllin had deodorizing effects on foul-smelling wounds led clinicians to administer chlorophyllin orally to patients with colostomies and ileostomies in order to control fecal odor (20). While early case reports indicated that chlorophyllin doses of 100-200 mg/d were effective in reducing fecal odor in ostomy patients (21, 22), at least one placebo-controlled trial found that 75 mg of oral chlorophyllin 3 times/d was no more effective than placebo in decreasing fecal odor assessed by colostomy patients (23). Several case reports have been published indicating that oral chlorophyllin (100-300 mg/d) decreased subjective assessments of urinary and fecal odor in incontinent patients (20, 24). Trimethylaminuria is a hereditary disorder characterized by the excretion of trimethylamine, a compound with a “fishy” or foul odor. A recent study in a small number of Japanese patients with trimethylaminuria found that oral chlorophyllin (60 mg 3 times/d) for 3 weeks significantly decreased urinary trimethylamine concentrations (25).

Safety

Natural chlorophylls are not known to be toxic, and no toxic effects have been attributed to chlorophyllin despite more than 50 years of clinical use in humans (8, 20, 26). When taken orally, chlorophyllin may cause green discoloration of urine or feces or yellow or black discoloration of the tongue (33). There have also been occasional reports of diarrhea related to oral chlorophyllin use. When applied topically to wounds, chlorophyllin has been reported to cause mild burning or itching in some cases (34). Oral chlorophyllin may result in false positive results on guaiac card tests for occult blood (35). Since the safety of chlorophyll or chlorophyllin supplements has not been tested in pregnant or lactating women, they should be avoided during pregnancy and lactation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Written by:
Jane Higdon, Ph.D.
Linus Pauling Institute
Oregon State University

Reviewed by:
Roderick H. Dashwood, Ph.D.
Chief, Cancer Chemoprotection Program, Linus Pauling Institute
Professor of Environmental & Molecular Toxicology
Oregon State University

Last updated 12/21/2005 Copyright 2004-2008 Linus Pauling Institute

·
Registered
962 Posts
i have seen a lot of post mostly by up and comers to archery hunting about spooking game or being winded.... so i thought i would share some things that i do in order to be scent free in the woods and have been very successful when done consistenly. others are going to have there methods that work for them and have been successful as well...the guys that have been hunting a while are probably doing similar stuff and is not meant to demean or insult anyones intelligence...this more for helping young hunters or older ones who have just never followed a system to be scent free.... If you have something you feel fellow hunters can benefit from please post them...

1st we are 6 weeks away from the season, so i have already started washing all my every day cloths in scent free/uv free detergent. I do this because i go scouting when ever i get the chance and i want to be able to grab my hunting camo and go and not have to find the one or two things i washed in scent free detergent. The day or days i go scouting i can jump in the shower wash with scent-away soap and shampoo then throw any socks, boxers, shirt, pants on and know they are all scent free. This includes the towel i dry off with and washcloth i wash my face with and all hand towels. I have scent free bar soap at each sink so no matter where i wash my hands i remain scent free and dry my hands with scent free towel in the house. I do not use a fabric softener obviously, they have earthy ones but i just use none at all and deal with static, it's only for a few months.

i keep all my hunting cloths in a plastic container that i washed with scent free soap when i first bought it. My cloths always stay outside as well as boots in the container.

i wear my scent free street cloths to the hunting location then i change into my scent free hunting cloths. I strip down on the side of the road if it's not in a busy area or i drag my bucket out into the woods and change. I change everything but my underwear. Usually the boots i wear to the area will not be scent free so i change my socks as well. After i am bare bottomed it is important to note that the first thing i put on is a pair of scent free gloves! I have a pair of gloves that are to small so they fit like a rubber glove that way i can get dressed without issue of bulky gloves getting in the way. If you get dressed touching all your cloths with the oils on your skin you just defeated the whole process, i then change into a little bigger pair of gloves that is more comfortable. i leave the bucket in the woods so when i come back out i change back into my street cloths before leaving.

About a week before the season i take my double pillow case(2 doubled up pillow cases washed in scent free detergent) out of my bucket and go to the area near where i will be hunting then fill it with grass, dirt, acorns, moss, ferns, twigs, deer droppings...etc tie it in a knot then each day after the first use before going out i can throw it in the dryer with my cloths and refresh that woods smell in them. I run the pillow case with all the stuff in it under the water just enough to get a little water in the pillow case(don't soak it) this will get those aromas going from all the woodsy stuff in the case. Again make sure you don't use any kind of fabric softener in the dryer for a good 6 weeks before the season.

If i use my atv to access an area i will spray scent killer on my legs, butt and back side any place i touched the atv. I also spray the atv down before use with scent killer on a rag. I always think about the exhaust but i have never been busted so what i'm doing is working.

I also spray my bow down with scent killer(you can use any scent spray on the market i really don't think this step matters) as long as you spray your bow with something.

I sometimes use white oak acorns as a cover/attractant for my boot bottoms and hat band while hunting. I gather the white oak acorns( use what ever is in your area) and then crush and boil them in a pot of water i don't use much water because i want it to be potent i then let it cool and strain it into spray bottle(make sure it is clean) thru a clean cheese cloth then spray on boot bottoms before walking into woods and hat band after sweating....i have never been a fan of cover/attractan scents on the market and this is as close to all natural you can get...

on my way to the stand i avoid all contact with any tree and bushs as much as possible. Even thou i am scent free and have gloves on deer like dogs can ground scent and tell if an area has been disturbed by where you touch and step from broken vegitation under your feet or where you rub the bark off a tree or break a branch....

I hope this helps some of you....this is one of the steps i take to get deer under my feet while hunting(most of you know who have read my uv thread that the other step for me is being uv free)

this it's my 2 cents....

wow

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
It’s kind of funny I do absolutely nothing and hunt the wind. My method is very effective, wear knee high rubber boots with pant legs tucked in, don’t touch any tall grass or weeds, and keep the wind in my face. When you don’t hunt the wind it’s not the deer you are seeing it’s the deer you are not seeing. You can’t know about the ones you are not seeing. :confused:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not to be a downer, but it would appear this takes over your life. Alot of work too. Clorophyll tabs for your inside scents (a little overkill?). If I did this regimen, it's all I would be thinking about.

Scent free soap in the shower before I go out (if I have time), scent free soap during the season. Scent free laundry. Store hunting clothes separately. Spray them down every once in a while.

HUMANS SMELL FUNNY TO DEER. WE ALWAYS WILL!

If you sweat a little (I sweat alot....) on the way to the stand, it's over. You are no longer scent free.

ALWAYS PLAY THE WIND!!

my 2 cents, for what it matters....

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I hear ya & agree. However i started taking nullo for bow season 2 yrs ago, wow!!!!! Unbelievable difference. If you'd try it starting 2 wks b4 season, & take 2 pills /day 1morning 1night all season long you'll be saying man W4F you were right, guarantee it brotha!!!!! However to each their own, do your thing bro!!!!:wink:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I also try and micro manage every aspect of it scent free everything weeks before season bags and totes for clothes and gear. I always change on site i guess im always overthinking everything and sometimes it stops being fun when this happens let it go and just hunt put your face in the wind and just enjoy being out there just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I think you're all missing one important, vital step.
http://nullo.com/
Therapeutic Uses of Chlorophyllin
See post #8? I always use Chlorophyll...yum...:wink:

I actually did a big post on it on one of the hunting sites..I'll try to find it...

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It’s kind of funny I do absolutely nothing and hunt the wind. My method is very effective, wear knee high rubber boots with pant legs tucked in, don’t touch any tall grass or weeds, and keep the wind in my face. When you don’t hunt the wind it’s not the deer you are seeing it’s the deer you are not seeing. You can’t know about the ones you are not seeing. :confused:

I see 70+ deer a year in my stands(here in NH) with 95% of them in bow range, a lot of the times more bucks then does...trust me I'm not getting busted....:wink:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you sweat a little (I sweat alot....) on the way to the stand, it's over. You are no longer scent free.
Exactly why I wear X-Static base layer....whooo-aaahhhh

as far as being over the edge that's what makes some of us freaks! I'm ok with that...I have the deer on the wall and in the freezer to prove it...lol

hunting is all I think about....I fail to see the problem here..:wink:

·
Registered
4,070 Posts

If I use my atv to access an area I will spray scent killer on my legs, butt and back side any place I touched the atv. I also spray the atv down before use with scent killer on a rag. I always think about the exhaust but I have never been busted so what I'm doing is working.QUOTE]

This was almost worth the read, right up until you said you have NEVER been busted.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
waiting4fall This is from my post I did on deer hunting chat.com alfalfa hmmmmm good stuff...

I like the combo of X-Static base layer with Chlorophyll tabs

the Silver in X-Static kills bacteria that causes oder (and yes in my opinion carbon (scent-lok suits can not compare to X-static silver lined clothing)

Use Chlorophyll tabs ( chlo·ro·phyll ) It's the stuff they give you in the hospital when your there for a few days without a shower so you don't smell. They also give it to old people so there gas does not smell...etc

For all the people who will research this I will save you the time.. read below.

CHLOROPHYLL (Sodium Copper Chlorophyllin)

DESCRIPTION : Chlorophyll is a ubiquitous green plant pigment that supports the process of converting solar energy and carbon dioxide into oxygen and carbohydrates. Sodium copper chlorophyllin is stabilized chlorophyll.

BIOCHEMISTRY : Chlorophyll is a network of carbon, hydrogen, nitrogenand oxygen atoms surrounding a single magnesium atom. (The blood pigment hemoglobin has an iron atom in place of the magnesium.) Chlorophyll may be an antioxidant. It is capable of electron transfer, and has been studied for use in biological solar electricity production. Sodium copper chlorophyllin is produced by replacing the magnesium atom with copper and sodium.

PHYSIOLOGY: Chlorophyll has strong antibacterial action, and clears up odors of putrefaction effectively. It has been used in surgery, in ulcerative carcinoma, in head colds, acute rhinitis and rhinosinusitis, and chronic ear infections and inflammations. It has also been used for Diabetic leg ulcers, contagious impetigo (a scabby, pustular skin eruption), rectal sores, vaginitis, and infection of the uterine cervix. Another doctor used it effectively for pyorrhea. Chlorophyllin is a derivative of chlorophyll. It was shown to be a potent, dose-responsive inhibitor of aflatoxin B-1 DNA adduction and cancer formation in rainbow trout liver. Inhibition of up to 77% occurred at chlorophyllin levels well within the chlorophyll content of some leafy green vegetables. The authors conclude that the finding 'may have important implications in intervention and dietary management of human cancer risks.'

INDICATIONS : Odors, infections, sores and inflammations, gum disease, cancers.

You can get them over the counter most pharmacies or you could support cabela's and buy there version Chlor-O-Flage Item:QW-418244 it's $6.99 for 20 gel tabs each contains 100 mg. of liquid chlorophyll

This the stuff I take nature's way

1 - 20 of 56 Posts