Archery Talk Forum banner

what kind of arrows do I need for my first bow? help? I'm clueless!

760 6
Hi everyone! I'm getting an OMP Adventure 2.0 62" 28# bow as my first recurve bow, my draw length is 24" and I have absolutely no clue what kind of arrows I will need. Does anyone have any suggestions? This bow and whatever arrows I get will be used strictly for target shooting.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
916 Posts
You should try and find an Archery shop that has someone that knows how to setup traditional bows. If you don't have a shop at your disposal, then some of the big box stores (Bass Pro, Cabelas, Dicks or Gander Mtn) might have someone that can help. But I would say in that range (24" DL on a 28 pound bow) that you are probably looking at youth arrows. To use regular arrows at that poundage and DL you would have to leave them full length (about 32 inches) with a 125 to 150 grain point just so they won't be too stiff. And then you'll have a lot of arrow sticking out of the front of the bow when you are at your anchor point. Increasing point weight will have the affect of weakening an arrow (weakening means the arrow will bend more on release and that will allow it to clear the shelf easier) but you don't want it too weak or you won't get good flight. Do a google search on bare shaft tuning and you will find lots of good information. But the best thing would be to get to a shop where you can shoot some and see how it goes. There's lots to learn. Be patient with yourself and keep at it. The journey is the best part!

Good Luck! Your in for the time of your life! Traditional Archery is a blast!

· Registered
562 Posts
femtomboy. Let me recommend that you get in touch with Lancaster Archery Supply and talk to someone in their Traditional Archery department. http://www.lancasterarchery.com/ Once you give them the info regarding your bow, draw weight, and draw length, they'll be able to provide you with some options. Given your specifications you'll be looking for an arrow that's fairly flexible (sometimes referred to as a weak arrow, as differentiated from a more stiff arrow). The term arrow spine is a measurement of an arrow's flex, with a higher number spine being more weak. It would not surprise me if they recommend the Carbon Impact Super Club arrow to you. I shot with that arrow when I first started with some good success. That's a very decent carbon arrow that provides a good range of spines. They are complete and cost under $6.00 an arrow. I would also not discount some of the Easton aluminum arrows, such as the Tribute or Jazz, which are also reasonable in price and come in a wide range of spines. Also, with the aluminum arrows you can get LAS to install them with feathers, which will be a must if you are shooting without an arrow rest. With the Super Clubs, because they come with plastic vanes, you will need to shoot with an arrow rest, otherwise you risk chewing up your riser. Call LAS. They'll get you squared away. Best of luck. LT

· Registered
22,127 Posts
fem -

1616 aluminums for starters, any flavor/target points.

Guys - this isn't rocket science, really.

Viper1 out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.