Archery Talk Forum banner

what kind of arrows should I get for my new bow?

996 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Easykeeper
I'm planning on getting an October Mountain Products Explorer 2.0 54" with either 24 or 28 pound draw weight and I want to be sure that I get the right arrows ... if it helps, my draw length is 24" and YES I know that people suggest 62"-66" for my draw length however if I got a bow in any of those lengths it would be taller then me because I'm 5'2".... if anyone can help me I'm giving my thanks ahead of time
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,366 Posts
I'm planning on getting an October Mountain Products Explorer 2.0 54" with either 24 or 28 pound draw weight and I want to be sure that I get the right arrows ... if it helps, my draw length is 24" and YES I know that people suggest 62"-66" for my draw length however if I got a bow in any of those lengths it would be taller then me because I'm 5'2".... if anyone can help me I'm giving my thanks ahead of time
Nothing wrong with a bow taller than you. Actually, you are 62 inches tall. A strung 62" recurve will be about 58-59 inches long. Shorter than you. :)

I'm only 5-9. I like bows of 68-70 inches. Don't worry about the bow's length relative to your own height. A 60-62" bow would be easier for you to shot well.

· Registered
644 Posts
Nothing wrong with a bow taller than you. Actually, you are 62 inches tall. A strung 62" recurve will be about 58-59 inches long. Shorter than you. :)

I'm only 5-9. I like bows of 68-70 inches. Don't worry about the bow's length relative to your own height. A 60-62" bow would be easier for you to shot well.
I bought my 10 and 12yr old kids 62" bows for Christmas. They are (I think) 4'8" and maybe just over 5' (I'm bad at remembering things) and they shoot them just fine.

For the arrows I'd look for easton tribute or jazz (same arrow, different colors), in something like 1516. Lancaster also carries the carbon impact super clubs which I hear recommended a lot but I've not tried them yet.
The easton platinum plus I think also comes in the smaller sizes, but has he bushing for the press in g-nock preinstalled which I kinda like. The tribute and jazz use glue on nocks.

A call and talking to someone at Lancaster Archery would probably be a good help.

BM

· Registered
12,124 Posts
I'm not even going to guess on arrows, your intended bow weight and draw length are so different than mine that I don't have a clue. What I would suggest is try this spine calculator, put in the values as accurately as possible. It works well for me, should get you in the ballpark, which is good enough for starting out.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/SpineCalculator.asp?pass=2

Once you get some information from the calculator, call Lancaster or 3Rivers and talk to someone. Both places are knowledgeable and combined with the calculator can advise you. I wouldn't spend a lot on your first arrows, your form will change a lot as you learn to shoot and the proper arrow is a function of both the bow and your personal form. Make sure you don't have your arrows cut too short, many people find their draw length increases as they learn how to shoot. With your short draw you probably don't need to leave them full length, but I would leave them at least 2"-3" longer than what you think your draw length is.

I know you are probably sick of hearing it but I too would go for a longer bow. A smaller stature person like yourself can often get along with a shorter bow, but in general the longer the bow the more pleasant it is to shoot. Short bows are more of a special purpose item.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.