Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to competition shooting and I would like to know what bow would be best for me. I am 13 years old an I can pull back 30 pounds I have a draw length of 25" and I will be working all summer to get a new bow. I would prefer a compound.

·
Registered
330 Posts
What kind of competition are you shooting in? What class are you wanting to shoot? This all make a difference. I would suggest you get a good starter bow like a dimond infanet edge, A bear crux, mission crazy, or something along these lines.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Your draw length will be changing (increasing) quickly at your age so make sure the bow can "grow with you". Best of luck to you in archery.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Something to think about: most adults have a draw lenght in the 27-28 1/2 inch draw range. Starting with a 25 inch draw lenght you're almost at a point where you may be able to buy a more adult type bow and shoot it for a long time, possibly forever, instead of one of the infinetley adjustable bows. How tall are you? How tall are your parents?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Something to think about: most adults have a draw lenght in the 27-28 1/2 inch draw range. Starting with a 25 inch draw lenght you're almost at a point where you may be able to buy a more adult type bow and shoot it for a long time, possibly forever, instead of one of the infinetley adjustable bows. How tall are you? How tall are your parents?
Do NOT by a bow based on how tall you, your parents or your house is. Height, has nothing to do with DL, yours or anyone elses. ANY correlation is purely coincidental. Get measured properly to determine DL.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went to bass pro shops yesterday and most of the bows that were adult there were about 2" too long. The man at the counter recommended a bear cruzer but I was wondering if I should get an adult bow anyway because I am basicly in the middle of a growth spurt right now.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Get a bow that will adjust with you as you grow. Set up properly they will shoot as nice as a "adult bow". Your young and don't want to be over bowed and pick up bad form habits early.

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
There are several fine highly adjustable bows available for growing youths. Would suggest you go try some and pick the one that feels best to you. Bear Cruzer, Bowtech Fuel, Diamond Infinite Edge Pro, Hoyt Ignite, Mission Hype. All these would be very good, the Fuel has the most solid backwall of them all.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Do NOT by a bow based on how tall you, your parents or your house is. Height, has nothing to do with DL, yours or anyone elses. ANY correlation is purely coincidental. Get measured properly to determine DL.
I think I was misinterpreted. Clearly you shouldn't buy a bow based on your height. It's clearly not absolute but height and draw do have some correlation, and there are genetics to keep in mind. If you're 5'6" tall and nobody in your family is taller than 5'9" then you'll probably never have a 28 1/2 or 29" draw. Also, look at the draw length polls here. Few shoot longer than 29" and many who are probably could stand to shorten things an inch or two.

There are many fine highly adjustable bows but one designed to shoot from 18-29 inches will be nowhere near as efficient through the range as one designed with a smaller range. If that weren't true draw lenght specific cams wouldn't exist.

DO NOT buy a bow with the idea of growing into it.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I think I was misinterpreted. Clearly you shouldn't buy a bow based on your height. It's clearly not absolute but height and draw do have some correlation, and there are genetics to keep in mind. If you're 5'6" tall and nobody in your family is taller than 5'9" then you'll probably never have a 28 1/2 or 29" draw. Also, look at the draw length polls here. Few shoot longer than 29" and many who are probably could stand to shorten things an inch or two.

There are many fine highly adjustable bows but one designed to shoot from 18-29 inches will be nowhere near as efficient through the range as one designed with a smaller range. If that weren't true draw lenght specific cams wouldn't exist.

DO NOT buy a bow with the idea of growing into it. Some shops will only carry a small # of bows in a narrow draw lentht range. Look around at the websites and see what bows start around 25". Bear has a couple.

·
Banned
9,842 Posts
I am new to competition shooting and I would like to know what bow would be best for me. I am 13 years old an I can pull back 30 pounds I have a draw length of 25" and I will be working all summer to get a new bow. I would prefer a compound.
The one that feels best to you. Keep shooting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.