Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother-in-law just gave me a tub of that Wildgame Acorn Rage stuff. I haven't read very good things about it and was wondering if I should waste my time using it or use another attractant. Have any of you even used this stuff? What was your outcome like?

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I have used the Acorn rage stuff before with mixed results...Like about any other bottle and marketed attractant, the animals will eat it and nibble at it if they are in that area. But as far as pulling the animals in from a distance is a tough cookie. When I used it in the past in random places, I had zero luck with it drawing anything in. But then when i put it in established feeding areas where I had salt blocks or other forms of food, they would eat it.

There is no such thing as a miracle bait that is available for sale on the shelf, it just doesnt exsist. Whitetail are a free ranging animal and they graze on food they just happen to come across. So once you have found there paths they travel from beeding to food sources, that where you put your attractant. And it only simply slows them down slightly, just long enough for you to get a shot off or till the bait is gone.

My best attrantant in the past has been simple 50lb salt blocks put out in early months of the year, usually February or early march. Once the antlers drop they start hitting the salt heavy. Round about this time of year when the antlers stop growing and you start seeing velvet being shed, they stop hitting the salt and minerals, and start hitting the food that will pack on weight for the winter months. Once this time of year hits, I starts putting down 50lb bags of whole kernal corn in the same place the salt block is still laying at. Then about a week before hunting season opens I put up my feeders, and use a nice steady feed cycle until hunting season is over. Then I lay low till late Feb. or March again and it starts all over...

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Trace mineral block from local feed store

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have used the Acorn rage stuff before with mixed results...Like about any other bottle and marketed attractant, the animals will eat it and nibble at it if they are in that area. But as far as pulling the animals in from a distance is a tough cookie. When I used it in the past in random places, I had zero luck with it drawing anything in. But then when i put it in established feeding areas where I had salt blocks or other forms of food, they would eat it.

There is no such thing as a miracle bait that is available for sale on the shelf, it just doesnt exsist. Whitetail are a free ranging animal and they graze on food they just happen to come across. So once you have found there paths they travel from beeding to food sources, that where you put your attractant. And it only simply slows them down slightly, just long enough for you to get a shot off or till the bait is gone.

My best attrantant in the past has been simple 50lb salt blocks put out in early months of the year, usually February or early march. Once the antlers drop they start hitting the salt heavy. Round about this time of year when the antlers stop growing and you start seeing velvet being shed, they stop hitting the salt and minerals, and start hitting the food that will pack on weight for the winter months. Once this time of year hits, I starts putting down 50lb bags of whole kernal corn in the same place the salt block is still laying at. Then about a week before hunting season opens I put up my feeders, and use a nice steady feed cycle until hunting season is over. Then I lay low till late Feb. or March again and it starts all over...
This

·
Registered
997 Posts
I put that acorn rage stuff out and periodically added corn around it just to get pics with my trail cam. After several weeks, I did not get one single pic of a deer even smelling the acorn stuff despite having up to 5 deer at a time devouring the corn within feet of it. Maybe your results will vary, but I have no intent of buying it again.

·
Registered
8,470 Posts
The best think I have found so far for my trail cam pic's .Is Buck jam (Apple) I mix it half and half with water ,it perks into the ground that way .Were ever I set it out there on it in no time ,and will keep on hitting it .Good luck

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm not allowed to hunt over bait in my state but for cameras there is only 3 "products" I will spend my money on. Stump Likker, Buck Jam (apple) and Deer Canes Black Magic in either liquid or powder form. I have found the liquid form to yield faster results but the powder lasts longer. Usually I'll mix some of the powder with a half gallon of water to make a thin paste for best of both worlds. Obviously corn works best but the raccoons are not worth my money

·
Hero for Hire
1,322 Posts
Trace mineral block from local feed store
Yep and at 6$ for a 50 lb block they are quite a bargain. Use a sledge to break them up into smaller pieces.

·
Placebo Power!
12,050 Posts
I use 50# bags of plain white salt. Put it out in the early spring. Mix it into loose dirt where it will catch some water-preferably near an old stump, etc.

The deer hit it best when things are "greening up" in the spring but continue to hit it all year. Less when there is no green vegetation.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Rice Bran has worked the best for me to get them infront of a camera. Some places they hit better than others. Had one spot last year I put it out and my first picture was 2 hours later and I had solid activity until it was gone, the longest gap between pictures was 3 hours.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have been having good results with the acorn rage droppin block. I dont know if it is pulling deer from a long distance but the ones that are in the general area tend to make an effort to stop by this for 30 mins a day. I was having decent luck with corn but the turkeys eat it before i can get back in the truck. I think the best result we can hope is that the deer get used to the product being in a certain area and they make a small detour to check it out. I know last year i would have deer all over me and many days they wouldnt come within bow range but i would see many of them. This year i hope it just gets them to stop by my pile for me to get an arrow in the air.

·
Waiting on a shooter
1,380 Posts
I get the rock salt pellets 40lb bags and then cover it with some Buck Jam-Apple in the spring and the deer love it. Again, it isn't "attracting" deer from long distance (which
isn't really possible for any product), but the deer in the area like it and I get a lot of trail cam pics using the combo. The Buck Jam is more expensive than the salt!

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Corn!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
di-cal, trace mineral, and fine stocking salt mix into the dirt. They were at it almost daily durning the summer.

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
Ive had good luck with the acorn rage liquid. Im trying out some trophy rocks right now to see how they work..

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Horse feed is the trick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
84,681 Posts
The best attractant /Protein feed i have ever used is Big & J . I cant keep the bucks away from it and they cant live with out it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts