Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious about what type of release I should get. Suggestions please. Pictures n prices will help as well thanks.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
There are pictures and prices all over the internet, take some time and look. Another bland question that no one here can answer. Only advice I can give is figure out which type and purchase a quality release the first time. Crappy triggers with a bunch of creep will never lead to accuracy.

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
2,778 Posts
any release is definitely worth spending the money and getting a quality release. i prefer a thumb trigger release, i am shooting the scott pursuit and i picked it up brand new for $120 off of the classifieds or an archery FB page (I cant remember which). i had a cheaper thumb release before it and it was garbage compared to this one. "buy once cry once" rings true for anything archery

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,539 Posts
Look at the best Tru Ball releases, Stan, Carter and Scott releases. I'd only consider the best models ( most expensive) from each.

·
Registered
932 Posts
What type of release is a personal preference. What one person likes, another may not. It is best to go to an archery shop and see if they Will let you try a few different styles, them make the decision yourself one which one fits you best. I personally started with fingers way back when, then went to an index finger wrist strap release, tried a thumb release for a while, and now have been back to an index. As for index finger releases, shot Scott caliper styles for many, many years. But, just in the last month I switched to a T.R.U. Ball Short-N-Sweet’r S2 open hook and really like the way it feels and shoots. Good luck in your quest!

·
Back Yard Champion
29,744 Posts
Look at the best Tru Ball releases, Stan, Carter and Scott releases. I'd only consider the best models ( most expensive) from each.
I could agree. I've TRU Ball and Tru-Fire Index releases, TRU Ball thumb releases (3), but of older design (dont' care for the new ones), a Stan Shootoff and 4 Stan hinges.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Like many i started with a caliper wrist release. Over the years i have graduated to a thumb release. I currently use the Stan Perfex. There are way to many variables to just name a certain style or model. Experience is the best teacher.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you are starting out get a finger release because they are really easy to master and can shoot great when you figure it out

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
No release style is any more inherently accurate - they're are still some top notch target shooters using a wrist style. So take the time to learn to shoot whatever you get. Shoot it correctly and it will be accurate. Don't expect to buy a hinge or a thumb and instantly shoot like a pro - not going to happen. Its not the release - its the shooter behind it. If as it sounds you are just starting out - start with something basic. As you develop you can swap and change styles all your like - but learn to walk before you try to run.

·
BIG FRANK....
8,510 Posts
My personal one is a tru-fire concho release, that one was made back in the 80s...And i have the Jim Fletcher concho release that they still make..It's the same thing..

·
Registered
108 Posts
Don't waste your time with a index finger release as you will develop punching the trigger like 90% of people out there. For a first release I would get a nice thumb release and then switch to a hinge style to practice form.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts