Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help guys, I'm about to go in on a lease with 3 other guys and was wondering what all rules needs to be established before the year starts? This will be my first lease that I have joined in on and was just curious.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Depends on what you are trying to do...looking to trophy manage or have a place just to get away? Rules are different for each...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see well managing the deer is the number one priority. Fill the doe tag and wait for a mature buck to come by. I would like to think that the other guys will pass on the spikes, forked horns and basket racks, but if they don't then I guess it leaves the big boys for me.

·
74,535 Posts
My lease

Eight point or better
Don't hunt close to another members feeder
We check in on a map where we are located on the lease. That way no one bothers another member. Take tag down at end of hunt.
Close all gates like you found them.
Take pictures of all bucks, pull jaw bones of all adult deer Doe or fawns. Regs for dmap program.
Don't leave trash on the lease.
Your allow your legal harvest plus doe permits until gone.
Don't hunt another stands unless you got permission
Deer hunting only during deer season.

Talk and discuss if two members are hunting close to each other. Work it out!
DB

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
we have a log to sign in. area is broken down by named areas so we know where everybody is. this year we had to add a new rule. If you shoot a buck below our rules(15" 8 point) you cant shoot another buck the rest of the year. if you do, your out of the camp. no loaded guns in the camp yard. also another one is dont leave another hunter alone in the woods. wait til he comes out before you leave if at all possible.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks DanielBoone, those will definitely be discussed.

Anyone else have any other rules?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way how many acres are you guys hunting on?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
We own but 8 or better out side their ears. I wish it was ten or better but I'm the young one and it's in NY not the mid west.

·
74,535 Posts

·
Born yank raised south
16,721 Posts
Here is a link to my hunting club website you can read our rules to give you an idea what we do. We have 1600+ acres ....We have a members only area but you will not be able to access it for the trailcams and kill pictures from the last few years. http://www.plantedpineshuntclub.com/home

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
1. Have a good time and leave drama in the truck.
2. Our lease in illinois is 140 or better...I would set a rough score minimum rather than a point minimum. If you don't, you could see a very small, immature 8 point shot.
3. Make a rule about drinking. Whatever suits the whole group.
4. check in system, keep tabs of all deer shot.
5. make a rule about guests and make sure it is enforced.
6. We have special (more lenient) rules for youngsters and first-timers (actually no first timers are allowed on the illinois lease unless they pay but for my other property but I generally use my other properties in bama for guests). Be happy for any hunters first deer or your own children. Your rules on this are at your own discretion but make sure they are in place.
7.Have entrance and exit routes mapped out and FOLLOW them. Also have places established to park the truck, etc. Don't want anyone getting shot or ruining someone else's hunt.
8. Repeat rule number one at all times.
9. Don't forget about rule number one.

·
74,535 Posts
Wow, okay well ours is only gonna be a section.
We got allot of cattle and most of one side is all open pasture. Did I say I don't like cows where I hunt. They work with us on the timber side during hunting season for the most part.
DB

·
Born yank raised south
16,721 Posts
Here is a link to my hunting club website you can read our rules to give you an idea what we do. We have 1600+ acres ....We have a members only area but you will not be able to access it for the trailcams and kill pictures from the last few years. http://www.plantedpineshuntclub.com/home
Sorry all I forgot about the rule with no active links can a moderator please take my post down.......

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
No joy riding on fourwheelers.
Stay out of other members area.
If you are going to mount it harvest the deer.
This is rules in NC.
Illinois 140+

·
Aim Small, Miss Small
5,589 Posts
My family owns but these are the rules on our place (320 acres):

Let's see if I can remember them all off the top of my head.

1) Joyriding on 4wheelers and other vehicles is not only allowed, but encouraged.

2) No food plots, land changes or renovations, etc that might actually benefit deer and other wildlife.

3) If someone asks for permission for anything other than deer gun season (that includes bowhunting, small game, turkey, shed hunting, waterfowl, etc), permission is granted.

4) If its too big of an inconvenience to put your trash in the trash can, throwing it on the ground is fine, someone else will pick it up.

5) Don't worry about cleaning up the cabin or anything before you leave..again, if you don't feel like it, someone else will clean it up for you.

6) Shoot whatever you feel like.. If its brown, its down.

7) If you see someone's trailcam, you have to pose in front of it, moon it, make stupid faces at it, etc for at least 15 mins.

I'm sure I'm missing a couple, but that's all I can think of right now. I'll have to let ya know if I think of any of the ones I missed.

(Its no wonder I hunt a lot of public ground and other private land)

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Keep it simple.
If you don't want to mount it, don't shoot it. I know that three of my buddies have a lease together and they hang all their stands together, name them, and chip in equally. Then, when more than one of them happen to be there at the same time they draw cards to pick stands. Highest gets first pick, lowest gets last pick. They usually are picky about wind so they decide which stands are eligible before they draw the morning of. The only reason I know this is because they invited me as a guest once and thought it was a pretty cool idea. I was only aloud to shoot a doe though...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts