Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions on what knife to buy for a mainly fishing/small game. Relatively low budget if possible, but one that would last moreso that one that is cheap. I live in canada if that makes a difference at all.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I only had one knife in my life time & it's a Buck knife 110 the old style with wood handle. I don't know how good the new ones are with the plastic handle.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Ka-Bar little fin is the best I've seen. the steel is very good and it keeps an edge. It's a great knife for small and large game. If I wanted JUST a small game knife it would be a folder like the "muskrat"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
skipmaster1 said:
Ka-Bar little fin is the best I've seen. the steel is very good and it keeps an edge. It's a great knife for small and large game. If I wanted JUST a small game knife it would be a folder like the "muskrat"
Who makes the muskrat? Any other opinions?

·
Registered
9,843 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I like a small fixed blade for fishing and small game. Just personal pref. I always have a pocketknife with me, but a fixed blade is just so much more accesible and easy to clean. I have and use many, but one I always seem to go back to is made by AG Russell. Called the "bird and trout" knife. Odd looking,
but I think you would like it for what you describe.
Good luck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have 3 knives and a multi-tool that handle pretty much everything I do outdoors.

Case Stockman
Uncle Henry Big Bear
Western Hunting Knife
Gerber Multi-Tool

I've cleaned deer with the bottom three and the stockman handles most fishing duty.
Cleaning a deer with the multi-tool is a great story shared over a campfire. BTW that little bitty serrated edge works great on a deer pelvis.

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Team #28
5,828 Posts
Buck folding 110. Only knife one could ever need. Simple, cheap and has very good steel in it.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
I love my browning FDT it is a little pricier, but will clean anything that you put to it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
470 Posts
You are in luck seeing that you are in Canada!!

Look up a company out of Pictou, NS called Grohmann. They make the DH Russell Belt Knife in a variety of styles. The #1 selling model is the one that George Herter's copied and is widely known as the "Guide's Knife".

Of all knife designs, this is the most practical hunting/fishing knife to be found (cutting, whittling, personal defense, gutting, camp chores, etc). The drop point is great for gutting, the blade material and hardness is a great balance for a hunting tool. Check it out...I believe that you would like it if you tried it. I have had mine since 1970 and would not part with it.

GROHMANN LINK

·
Archer helping Archers
1,328 Posts
Bow_Rep said:
You are in luck seeing that you are in Canada!!

Look up a company out of Pictou, NS called Grohmann. They make the DH Russell Belt Knife in a variety of styles. The #1 selling model is the one that George Herter's copied and is widely known as the "Guide's Knife".

Of all knife designs, this is the most practical hunting/fishing knife to be found (cutting, whittling, personal defense, gutting, camp chores, etc). The drop point is great for gutting, the blade material and hardness is a great balance for a hunting tool. Check it out...I believe that you would like it if you tried it. I have had mine since 1970 and would not part with it.

GROHMANN LINK

I have to agree with you on this one. I have two knives I carry with my. One is a Cutco hunting knife, the other is the grohmann, an awesome knife, skinned many animals with it.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Bowtech_05 said:
Gerber, Old Timer, and Bucks...my top three favorites
I have to agree. most of what I own are Shrade/Old Timer. I have been useing since I can remember, probably because that what i remember my Dad using. I like Gerber just as well. Buck is last on my list. No particular reason other than that is just how it is.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Buck 110 for me, also. Good blade, simple design, good lookin', and affordable. If you go for one, get wooden handles and the good leather sheath. It's all you really need.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts