Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Bowhunter
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are both attractive people. Okay, she might be just a little more attractive...

We both shoot archery. Okay, she might be a little better shot than I am...

We both have many years of hunting ahead. Okay, she might have a few more years to go than I have...

We both just shot our first eastern turkeys. Okay, she shot hers the day before I shot mine...

We both shot mature Toms. Okay, hers might be better looking than mine...

Laura rocks. Check out her thread:
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1210550

And, heck, I just got my first bird and I'm stoked. It was a great hunt!

I left the house at 4:45 am today, set up the blind and decoy at 5:00 am and was all settled in by 5:10. My decoy was set up 14 yards from the blind. At 5:28 am I saw a coyote pass behind my decoy at 37 yards. I swapped out my arrow with a Gobbler Getter for one with a Thunderhead just in case his curiosity got the better of him. Unfortunately it did not.

I heard a couple Toms gobble to the northwest. I called back with my box call and got a mouth call from my case. He gobbled back. I kept calling from time to time with both the box call and my mouth call. Soon I had other Toms gobbling from the southeast. I was surrounded! It seemed like the birds were surrounding me! One Tom from the southeast was coming closer and faster than the ones behind me to the northwest. Soon he came into view and started strutting. I drew, but let down when he didn't advance as quickly as I thought he would. When he came in a bit closer I drew again, centered the pin in housing in my peep, put the 20 yard pin on his body above his legs, and let it fly.

The shot was true and the Gobbler Getter did its job. I got a complete pass through with the arrow. The Tom fluttered and then collapsed all of 6 yards from where I hit him. He was flapping a bit and breathing heavy. I heard a deer blow in the distance. I decided to jump out of the blind and finish him off with a good stomp to the neck so he wouldn't flutter off. No need to worry about that - he was just about finished by the time I got to him. Then I heard a deer blow. I looked off to my left and about 45 yards away in the woods was a buck (I could see dark spots on his head that were poking up a bit) standing and looking at me. He gave me the old foot stomp, so I returned a couple and gave him a few head bobs to boot! I soon tired of his folly and got my camera from my Jeep in order to take a few pictures.

After I finished with the photo work I heard a couple Toms calling from south-southeast. So I gathered up my gear and the bird and took it all back into the blind. I called for about 20 minutes and then decided to call it quits.

This is my first bird - I missed two jakes last year shooting for their necks. Now I'm glad I missed. The fan is a bit rough at the edge, but should make a good decoy fan for my Mobile B. I'm going to start a spur collection for a necklace and I'll keep the beard for posterity. I have 2 breasts in the freezer (2 lbs 10 oz, 2 lbs 11.5 oz). Having dined Sunday night on a friend's first turkey kill, I'll wait a bit before enjoying this meat. I have two more tags to attempt to fill before May 29.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,800 Posts
nice bird and great write up! :thumb: :cheers:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Congrats on your first gobbler!!

·
Registered
12,911 Posts
Laura is much more attractive IMO ... Nice bird ! I enjoyed your post thanks !

·
Bowhunter
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Laura is much more attractive IMO ...
Sadly, ;) I have to agree with you on that one. And I think most people would.

By the way, my bird weighed 20 lbs 7 oz, 9" beard, and had 1" spurs.

·
In constant pursuit of...
8,437 Posts
That first is always special, Congrats! How come you dont shoot pink rages too? lol I didnt know they made a pink Rage,..gonna have to buy some for my wife and daughter.

I killed my first a couple weeks ago. (rio)

·
Trophy Meat Hunter
11,248 Posts
Nice bird, but Laura is waaayyyy more attractive.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Great bird congatulations! Sounds like you had a great hunt.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Nice bird...
Laura is better looking though, sorry.
I once stood within 10 feet of Laura.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
awesome job man

·
Trophy Meat Hunter
11,248 Posts
Nice bird...
Laura is better looking though, sorry.
I once stood within 10 feet of Laura.:darkbeer:
She told you to keep your distance huh?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I'm kinda intimidated by bea-utiful women so I just bought a raffle ticket for a great bow press and a good cause. Hope I win.:eek:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts