Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a Target bow for 3D and was wanting to know what length axle to axle would the best. I have a 25" draw and usually draw around 60#. Will a longer bow hold better? What about brace height? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
A longer ata bow holds better. With a short draw length, you need to see which ATA let's you get the proper string angle for your face. I have a 29 inch draw and I am shooting a 40 inch ata bow. My back up bow is a 38 ata.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I want to get a Target bow for 3D and was wanting to know what length axle to axle would the best. I have a 25" draw and usually draw around 60#. Will a longer bow hold better? What about brace height? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
I shoot a 37" for outdoor 3D, my draw is 28,75" 67lb to get the speed for outdoor competition. It is definitely more stable then my hunting bows 31-33". I used to shoot a 35" for outdoor 3D and shot very good, bow had a deflex riser to it which is not near as stable imo as a straight riser. If you are shooting a longer ata bow for 3D you will notice right away the differences. The string angle difference is also a game changer imo for kisser button and peep. I believe I read an article several years ago about body size/draw length ratio to ata length, sorry I don't remember where now, but a good bow shop should be able to help you make the right choice of length/riser design.

·
Back Yard Champion
30,489 Posts
Your draw length of 25" has you hemmed in some, but find a bow with ata of 35" or longer. So many times I've had people want to buy my long ata bows and the draw wouldn't go low enough. Some my longest have been 41 1/2", 41 1/4", 40 3/4", 38 3/4", 38".

If you do find a longer ata bow some times is offered the smaller cam and these pound for pound draw harsher. I've got one right now that is set for 45 pounds and draws like it's 70 pounds. I'm looking for a set of large cams and have it restrung.

Good luck.......

·
Registered
371 Posts
FWIW, I shoot a Mathews TRX 36 at 28” and I’m very happy with the length. The Chill X (35) and TRX 38 suit me just as well. My Traverse (33 or 34) seems too short.

I would guess my preferences would equate to shooting a TRX 34 or 36 if my draw was 25”. I imagine I would be very happy with either. I have less hands-on experience with other brands.

I have always favored relatively long brace heights of 7+ inches. However, my 36 is 6 5/8” and is great. Maybe I would like it better at 7+, but would not be inclined to trade for a different brand/model to get there.

Longer bows than necessary are likely to shoot well but can be a little unwieldy for a shorter than average height to average height shooter.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey K, I also have a 25" draw and shooting a Ritual 35 (small base) at 65# and that seems to fit me well. I can't remember the exact BH but believe its around 6.5". I also shoot a PSE Bow Madness Unleashed with a 32" ATA quite well. I think a longer ATA got a bit unwieldy for my height. Good luck.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Consider watching some recent (!) pro shoots on-line, especially women (because of draw length). Target as well as 3D because the speedier target bows are also good 3D bows. If a company offers bows of different lengths and cam designs, you can bet their pros are making informed choices from current models.

Some shooters post gear specs on-line. I recall the Estonian Women’s Team doing that awhile back on Instagram. Names and bow choices of Mathews pros are listed on their website. That may be the case for other companies as well.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
If the DL is available that short, I would suggest a Prime Nexus 6, maybe a Nexus 4, a Mathews TRX34 or TRX36, perhaps a Hoyt FX Comp, or something between 33-36". You might could pull off a Invicta 37 but the string may be a tad steep. I own a TRX36 and NEXUS 6 and the are phenomenal for me and my 28" DL. At your DL, I have to say the Prime Nexus 6, if available that short, would be my number 1 suggestion due to a shallow string angle due to high center shot with a 36" ATA.

PS. I just looked up the specs. The Nexus 6 will fit. It is also drastically cheaper than the competitors and it is built like a freaking tank.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
The Bowtech Reckoning might be another of Interest as well as the Elite Rezult 36. They are slower than the TRX36 and Nexus 6 though. These are my bows. Both 36" ATA but the string is less steep on the Prime.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
I looked up specs posted by the Estonian team. They listed a TRX 36 at 24.5, a TRX 38 at 24.5, a TRX 38 at 25.5, and an Invicta 37 at unstated (but I think similar) DL. I think Jaatma (the TRX 36) is now shooting a TRX 38. I think Pas (Invicta) is now shooting a PSE Citation 36.

Mathews pro list is here: Target Team | Team Mathews | Mathews Archery

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would recommend 35 axle to axle. I’m no expert but for your draw length at 25” this is high enough for you. Research more and ask the experts. Good luck.

·
Back Yard Champion
30,489 Posts
"Longer bows than necessary are likely to shoot well but can be a little unwieldy for a shorter than average height to average height shooter and string angle."

I've never understood where the above stuff comes from. Two girls that shot for Hoyt weren't as big as well used bar of soap and had bows with 37" atas and longer. I've got picture of one. If her bows was any longer it'd be as tall as she is.

My shortest bow had a ata of 33 1/2" and it shot darn near as good as any target bow I've ever owned and that's saying a lot when my longest had a ata of 41 1/2". 8 inches different in ata and I never worried the tiniest bit about string angle.

Reactions: SwVaHntr

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the info. I have been looking at the TRX36 but was wondering about the TRX34. Some guys I shoot with said the 36 holds better to them than the 38. But no one I know shoots a 34.

·
Old Guy
1,059 Posts
"Longer bows than necessary are likely to shoot well but can be a little unwieldy for a shorter than average height to average height shooter and string angle."

I've never understood where the above stuff comes from. Two girls that shot for Hoyt weren't as big as well used bar of soap and had bows with 37" atas and longer. I've got picture of one. If her bows was any longer it'd be as tall as she is.

My shortest bow had a ata of 33 1/2" and it shot darn near as good as any target bow I've ever owned and that's saying a lot when my longest had a ata of 41 1/2". 8 inches different in ata and I never worried the tiniest bit about string angle.
There is so much bs here and on YouTube it isn't even funny.
27.5 for my draw length 1 bow 38 ata, the other is 40 ata no problem shooting either.
No wonder so many new guys are lost with all these rumors here

·
Registered
10,158 Posts
My wife has a 25" draw and loves her Hoyt 37" ATA target bow for 3D, she likes 32"-33" ATA for hunting. A 6" brace will help you with speed 10 fps.

Reactions: Robspartacus

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'll get flamed for this, but ATA can be overrated. I score a bit better with my 35 ATA than I do my 31 V3, but which one "holds better" is definitely debatable. With your DL, ATA shouldn't make that much of a difference, try increasing your holding weight, something like a 75% letoff. Some guys shooting 38 ATA, front bar, back bar, etc, it can become pretty unwieldy. Longer is generally more stable than shorter, but that's only one variable...

·
The Impartial Archer
19,211 Posts
I know the "experts" claim there is a ratio ATA formula. IMHO that formula is to average things out. IOW if you are like the OP you can shoot a shorter BH & ATA and have the same ratio as say a taller guy shooting a longer ATA & BH.

That said that ratio is to give you more speed..........in a nut shell to make up for the shorter draw. However if you DO choose a longer ATA & BH you still get ALL those benefits too.....they don't just melt away because of your height.....so you get even more accuracy and forgivingness than the taller guy does using the same bow but just not as much speed because of the ATA & BH in your spec's.

I'm only 5'8" and have been shooting 45 - 32 inch bows for the last 40+ years and I still prefer a 35 - 37 with at least a 6.5 - 7+ BH.

So if you are looking for a way to get speed and be equal you might try to go down in ATA & BH using that formula but if you don't care about the speed gains you'll be fine with a longer bow and should (apples to apples) shoot it better.......just not as fast.

I'd even buy a 38 or 40 and all I really do anymore is hunt.

·
redman
8,173 Posts
I have a 27 amo draw and I am shooting a trx 8 and it is super nice If I was making bows I would like to try trx 35 with a 7.5 brace

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I think in general longer ATA bows will be more stable, but one must shoot different bows and find one that shoots the best. I shot my Rezult 38, Mach 7 (41" ATA", and Mach 9 (43" ATA). Shot the PSE's first and then shot the Rezult, immediately noticed a difference in string angle. The PSE's felt really nice. Makes me appreciate my old PSE's and the draw cycles are so nice. I'm a 31" DL, so longer ATA bows fit me better.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts