Archery Talk Forum banner

What makes arrows accurate??

978 9
I am looking into getting new arrows but there are so many out there. What makes arrows accurate. Is there something I should be looking for in terms of make, design, specs, etc?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
646 Posts
Spine consistency is critical - without it you get varying clearance, which can pose real issues with groups. Accurate arrow spine is next, which aids in correct clearance and detachment from the string. Straightness is next, allowing consistent alignment of the two node points relative to the bow/rest/plane of force. Weight consistency is next, aiding consistent trajectory control. Then colour and labels, because lets face it, nice arrows always shoot well :D

These values are, of course, all dependant on so many other things coming together, both in a technical sense and in a form sense.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
There's a lot more contributing to accuracy than your arrows. Having "consistent" arrows will help in achieving this.

· Registered
15,179 Posts
you could have the perfect arrow for your setup but if your bow isnt tuned right then it isnt going to matter. So imo a well tuned bow and then the shooter is what makes the perfect arrow accurate.
Well put. A perfectly tuned bow will shoot a p.o.s. arrow well...not great, but it will fly.
The one piece of arrow building equipment I would suggest is a G5 ASD. It squares the ends of the shafts and the insert perfectly. It is worth it's weight in gold!

· Registered
2,426 Posts
Corect spine for your setup. Spine consistancy of a particular arrow. If shooting broadheads, squaring the ends with an ASD makes a big difference at longer ranges. Also, with broadheads keeping your f.o.c. somewhere in the 10-12 range. Make sure to keep an eye on your nocks and replace when they fit looser than the others or do not fit the string as they did when they were new.

· Registered
15,839 Posts
Spine consistency is critical - without it you get varying clearance, which can pose real issues with groups. Accurate arrow spine is next, which aids in correct clearance and detachment from the string. Straightness is next, allowing consistent alignment of the two node points relative to the bow/rest/plane of force. Weight consistency is next, aiding consistent trajectory control. Then colour and labels, because lets face it, nice arrows always shoot well :D

These values are, of course, all dependant on so many other things coming together, both in a technical sense and in a form sense.
I guess, going to the local shop and buying the specials doesn't work!!:)

I agree, it takes me quite a bit of time to put my arrows together. I only shoot Carbon Tech. I have found them to be the most spine consistant.

· Registered
15,839 Posts
you could have the perfect arrow for your setup but if your bow isnt tuned right then it isnt going to matter. So imo a well tuned bow and then the shooter is what makes the perfect arrow accurate.
Perhaps, I am misunderstand. You only have one bow and many arrows. The bow is going to repeat almost constantly. If the arrows are varying the results are going to vary. If the arrows are consistant the bow is going to be consistant.

A Hooter Shooter will shoot the bow the same way everytime. I would bet you could prove my theory with it. Good consistant arrows are very important and should not be left to the kid in the back to build up for you.

· Registered
3,878 Posts
For an accurate arrow its hard to beat solid shooting form and a consistent release!
I think that .001 or .003 or even .005 over the length of an shaft doesn't makes too much difference. Become the Hooter Shooter and your arrow problems will disapear!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.