Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought one in the spring and finally sold it as I was dissastisfied with the noise level. The rest of my Mathews bows have been quiet. I have read other post where owners thought the bow was loud. Mathews have been my favorite and my xt is silent. I would like to pick up another bow for fingers and for some reason I would not mind gambling on a used ovation again. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
The Ovation was the last Mathews, I owned. I started shooting Martins and never looked back. They are more adjustable. I had the Ovation for competition and it was Slovation as far as I was concerned. I bought a different cam for it and still didn't like it. The noise wasn't a factor.

If I had to buy a Mathews for finger shooting it would be a Conquest. It is the better design unless you want to go Apex.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Quite Ovation

I Am Very Surprised To See This. I Own One Of The 1st Ovations My Dealer Had,so Many Fellow Archers I Have Shot With The Last Couple Of Years Have Commented About How Quite It Is. It Has A Zero-effect Rest ,limb Savers,and A Sts On It,but It Was Not Loud Before I The The STS On,I PUTIt On To Get Arrow Off The String As Soon Possible For Accuruscy. I Won Seaveral Local 3-d Shoots And Placed High In Many Others With This Set Up And Had Not Pior To Owning This Bow. Stew

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I stand corrected. It was the spring of 2005 that I bought and Ovation. I had researched reports of the bow being quiet but was amazed that it wasn't, at least for me. My bow was in spec. It just sounded terrible. With a heavy 2216 at 60 lbs.

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,449 Posts
westksbowhunter said:
I stand corrected. It was the spring of 2005 that I bought and Ovation. I had researched reports of the bow being quiet but was amazed that it wasn't, at least for me. My bow was in spec. It just sounded terrible. With a heavy 2216 at 60 lbs.
Might not have been the bow making the noise. How was it with nothing on it?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
westksbowhunter said:
I bought one in the spring and finally sold it as I was dissastisfied with the noise level. The rest of my Mathews bows have been quiet. I have read other post where owners thought the bow was loud. Mathews have been my favorite and my xt is silent. I would like to pick up another bow for fingers and for some reason I would not mind gambling on a used ovation again. Any thoughts?

I bought a Mathews Apex (the 42 1/4" model, not the A7) and shoot it with fingers.....a GREAT finger-bow!

It is noticeably faster than the Ovation and very quiet with string-leechs and a Sims stabilizer....:wink:

Honestly, it's hard to beat that bow.....far better than a Conquest for fingers....just as fast, just as quiet and MUCH more forgiving with the 8" brace instead of 7" on Conquest.....very important for shooting fingers....plus extra 2" of ata length....

Most used Apex's go for around $600......you won't regret it! :)

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
I'm totally happy with my Slovation. I get 280 out of it with 300 grain arrows and 56# for 3d and it's as quiet as anything else. By setting the ATA to 39 1/2" and the cam timed correctly I had to use the next shorter cam to get my draw length correct, other than that it has been fine. It holds rock solid with the Tronjo grip on it and I much prefer the roller guard vs. the cable guard on the Conquest. I also prefer to have a solid draw stop, which the Ovation has. I'll pick up an Apex in the next year when they reach the $400 mark used ;)

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
"I stand corrected. It was the spring of 2005 that I bought and Ovation. I had researched reports of the bow being quiet but was amazed that it wasn't, at least for me. My bow was in spec. It just sounded terrible. With a heavy 2216 at 60 lbs."

Either something wasn't right with the bow or it was one of your accesorries. Cause a 2216 @ 60# sounds like a little more than a whisper. The Ovation is not a loud bow I owned about 6 of them. Also it was one of the most accurate bows I have owned!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I love my Ovation

I recently had a choice to make...In order to purchase my new Switchback XT I had to part with either my Apex or Ovation....The Apex went and I have no regrets...guess it's a personal preferrence thing....My Ovations is whisper quiet and I love the 80% let off....gives me time to find the target, :darkbeer: count pins on my sight..:nerd:..make sure I haven't forgot the arrow...things like that....:brushteet......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts