Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 64 my joints are getting stiff and aching. Lately, I've switched from glucosamine type supplements and ibuprofen to a product by Schiff called Move Free Ultra. Its a small pill containing type II collagen, boron, and hyaluronic acid that has really helped my fingers and knees. Still have one aching hip though. Just wondering what you folks have found helpful... any over the counter or RX meds... to keep you able to pull back that bow?

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,268 Posts
You just gotta know the right amount to take. :wink:

20171215_235103 (2).jpg

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gee, maybe I'm approaching my problems the wrong way. Instead of lowering the pain I need to be "killing" the pain. With SC being the Palmetto State, I should consider a home remedy like this:
Palmetto Moonshine.png

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Being 62 with 3 spine surgeries and 4 on my lower right foot, 2mg dilauded does the trick. In addition I have grade 2 tears in both rotator cuffs.

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
Canadian Hunter here, I'm going with the hunting theme!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Michters I would guess cures most things especially those loose bills in your wallet ... good stuff though! ;)

I’m just a Aleve guy so far and take one in the am and one in the pm.... that does not cure much but does help. I think self moderation helps me the most... I shoot and if I start to feel some discomfort I stop and rest that body part for a few days. One good thing about being retired and everyday being a Saturday is you have time and options. If archery is causing pain then I shoot sporting clays or go fishing or do some scenic photography. Having time and options may not fit every Seniors life style but it cures most of my ills! My wife says I have far too many options .... ;)

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Naproxen for the joints...Proprananol for shakes...Prilosec so I can eat greasy, spicy grub...LI guess that's it.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Currently, periodic corticosteroid injections to both hips, Tramadol, and Naproxen. (Alleve)

Eventually hip replacement will keep me shooting. I'm looking to have that done before I retire so recovery time is covered by my Aflac.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I remember years ago using Meloxicam for about a 6 mo period. It helped me get over a neck problem. It worked well and was a cheap RX at that time. Luckily, it didn't bother my stomach.

·
Lowered expectations
17,096 Posts
Naproxen, then if necessary, codeine, then if necessary, hydromorphone, then if necessary, I’d rather not say.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just the thought of being on this side of the grass sure helps me cope with it. Sure beats not being around to experience this part of life. Retired from Disneyworld and remember seeing kids there in wheelchairs that never took a step in their lives and they still managed to smile. Guess I can grin and smile too.

·
Master Class
8,205 Posts
Finding Tumeric from GNC does as well as Advil and all the other stomach killers.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'm 75 and do not take any medication for pain; even over-the-counter stuff. When I over-do it shooting I just rest and have turned down my poundage to 53 lbs. Three times a week I lift weights which helps keep my muscles from losing to much strength and I do take Tumeric to help with the aches and pains. Currently, considering Proprnanol for the shakes but somewhat concerned that this will reduce my kidney functioning. I'm not sure hurting my kidneys is worth it as I was able to shoot 283 out of 310 at our indoor 3-D league last Thursday night. This senior forum is great; it is nice to know there are others my age that still shooting. In my club of 250 members there are only two of us in our 70's that are still shooting on a regular basis. Guys take care and have a good one.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have osteoarthritis that affects both of my knees, left hip, and left shoulder. I'll be 70 in Feb. I take Oxycodone 5-325mg pills when I can't walk or my hip hurts so bad I can't sleep. I work full time still and without the pain pills I would have to quit my job and can't afford to do that right now. My bows are set at 40lbs and I find after shooting 60 or so shots my left shoulder feels better for a day or so. I have to wear knee braces when I go target shooting. Two hours is about the maximum time I can stand, then it's go home and take two pain pills and rest up for the rest of the day. I don't mind getting old but I sure do hate breaking down piece by piece!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Currently, considering Proprnanol for the shakes but somewhat concerned that this will reduce my kidney functioning. I'm not sure hurting my kidneys is worth it as I was able to shoot 283 out of 310 at our indoor 3-D league last Thursday night. This senior forum is great; it is nice to one.
Been taking Proprananol 10 mg twice a day for a few years now. No kidney problems and it sure quiets the shakes.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Been taking Proprananol 10 mg twice a day for a few years now. No kidney problems and it sure quiets the shakes.
That is good news but I was reading a study on Proprananol and it stated that a person's eGFR is slowed down by Proprananol. The eGFR is the gold standard test to determine if a person has chronic kidney disease. My eGFR is just in the abnormal range and I'm trying to do everything I can to preserve my kidneys. Any doctors on here that would like to comment on the effects of Proprananol.

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
I've been told for several years now I need both knees replaced. Bone on bone but decline since I'm still able to function. A field shoot, 28 targets through the woods is my toughest. I have no problems shooting the 112 arrows out of my 60# compound or 50# Longbow but the up, down & around walking gets tough. I usually take TWO Tylenol b/4 I start the tourney & good for the day. I just had major belly surgery & have not had to take ANY pain meds (fortunate). I am 76 but Dr. says i'm in good health overall. I've managed 2 NFAA field Nationals (1 compound 1 Longbow) & hopefully again this July + our state championships. The 112 arrows a day were never a problem, it was the walking, up, down hills to the 28 targets throughout the woods. Our bodies tell us what we can & can't do + COMMON sense.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 71 Posts