Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What other bow brands besides Elite do this: Put the grip more than 1/2 down the riser, so that the arrow rest and thus arrow path are actually in the center of the string, instead of above the centerline?

Why don't other bow makers do this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Hoyt never does it. It's a matter of feel, balance and stability in a human's hand. I guess their engineers find it beneficial to build a bow that is better fit for a human. A centered rest and nock point seems like it should be more accurate, but it makes them "tippy" and top-heavy in feel, and not as stable feeling at full draw. And I guess Hoyt's wins on the international target circuits blow the accuracy thing out of the water.

Basically, any bow with binary cams or a single cam has to have a centered nock point to get straight nock travel.

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,334 Posts
Come on now Buster. We all know Hoyt wins because the Paychecks are fat. And im not saying that they arent good bows. But Elite has been around for all of 6 years... There are many winning with Elite bows around the country. You really do hate Elite??? I guess it just seems that way....lol

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Come on now Buster. We all know Hoyt wins because the Paychecks are fat. And im not saying that they arent good bows. But Elite has been around for all of 6 years... There are many winning with Elite bows around the country. You really do hate Elite??? I guess it just seems that way....lol
I don't HATE anything, well almost nothing anyway. :lol: Elite isn't one of those things, though. The OP used Elite, but he could have said Mathew's or BowTech and the answer would still be the same. Their choice of cam systems lock them into this design.

Pointing out different design features and why the designers choose which they go with. No more and no less. Low grip or center grip in this case. It just happens that humans seem to be able to shoot more accurately with a centered grip. It just works with our physiology better. On paper it seems a centered nock point would be better, but how a bow reacts to a human is more important in the end when it comes to repeatable accuracy. The tradeoff is the need for assymetrical cams or the nock point would rise drastically at the end of the draw cycle, so Hoyt has to have a slightly larger cam on top than on the bottom to correct the nock travel. Alpine and Martin have both made binary designs with assymetrical cams for this very reason.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Just so you know, over 90% of Hoyt's wins worldwide are from people not getting a Hoyt paycheck. Just to clear it up. They're simply the most used worldwide in target archery, like in every single country around the planet. Check out FITA events to see what I'm alluding to. I don't think any other bow maker exports nearly the number of units.

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,334 Posts
It does make sense. Cant argue that bit Buster. And yes Hoyt does have a lot of people shooting their bows. Id expect that from a company thats been around for as long as they have. They have the largest selection of any company. Elite is young with a new direction since KS left. Give them time...

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
It does make sense. Cant argue that bit Buster. And yes Hoyt does have a lot of people shooting their bows. Id expect that from a company thats been around for as long as they have. They have the largest selection of any company. Elite is young with a new direction since KS left. Give them time...
Heck, I hope they grow. More competition is good for all of us.

·
Registered
12,895 Posts
There are others that have been around as long as Hoyt ..some of them aren't in business anymore some are barely hanging on. Hard to say but it seems Hoyt is doing things right from design to marketing, I'll admit I wasn't really impressed in the 90's ... Not sure about the grip.... I like Busters explanation .

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
I don't HATE anything, well almost nothing anyway. :lol: Elite isn't one of those things, though. The OP used Elite, but he could have said Mathew's or BowTech and the answer would still be the same. Their choice of cam systems lock them into this design.

Pointing out different design features and why the designers choose which they go with. No more and no less. Low grip or center grip in this case. It just happens that humans seem to be able to shoot more accurately with a centered grip. It just works with our physiology better. On paper it seems a centered nock point would be better, but how a bow reacts to a human is more important in the end when it comes to repeatable accuracy. The tradeoff is the need for assymetrical cams or the nock point would rise drastically at the end of the draw cycle, so Hoyt has to have a slightly larger cam on top than on the bottom to correct the nock travel. Alpine and Martin have both made binary designs with assymetrical cams for this very reason.
Buster, I dont really buy what you said here about the human and a centered grip. Sorry but I just dont.

If a bow shoots well, it shoots well. If it doesnt, then it dont. Only thing people are concerned about is how well the bow shoots in that aspect.

Now the physical grip itself is most def more of a factor than how far down the grip is located in terms of center.

There are some that MAY be concerned about center but its more so the OCD types than the general archers. Heck, I'm OCD as can be and I dont give a rip if the grip is centered or not as long as the bow shoots well.

Way more important things to be concerned about with a bow.

My .02

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Skeet, I'm just going off what I've read engineers say and my own observations. Like all top target bows have centered grips.....even Mathew's target models when their hunting models don't. Every world record is currently held by shooters with bows with centered grips. And every below center grip bow I have owned or shot was not as stable to aim with, nor did they balance as well. It does make a difference when it's placed in someone's had. The shape of any tool impacts how it works with the user....wouldn't a toothbrush not work so well if it was curved the other direction? :lol:

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
Skeet, I'm just going off what I've read engineers say and my own observations. Like all top target bows have centered grips.....even Mathew's target models when their hunting models don't. Every world record is currently held by shooters with bows with centered grips. And every below center grip bow I have owned or shot was not as stable to aim with, nor did they balance as well. It does make a difference when it's placed in someone's had. The shape of any tool impacts how it works with the user....wouldn't a toothbrush not work so well if it was curved the other direction? :lol:
I understand what you are saying. But all the top shooters shoot longer bows for one thing, eh?

My 101st holds very well and the grip is not centered. Most archers, like myself, are not good enough shots to even notice.

The other is just as I said. And I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most likey 95% of archers dont even consider grip placement on a new purchase. Most will go brand loyal, what is said in an add, or, what a salesman tells them.

How many times do have you seen it in the ads..............grip centered on the bow?

Thats all I'm trying to say bro. It just dont matter to the average Joe.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
The average Joe does come on here and say stuff like "I liked it, but it just felt top heavy to me and it put me off". But most wouldn't know WHY it's that way. My post was to try to explain it.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
The average Joe does come on here and say stuff like "I liked it, but it just felt top heavy to me and it put me off". But most wouldn't know WHY it's that way. My post was to try to explain it.
Understood. But most dont even come on here to read your explaination. Thats what I'm getting at.

Out of all the bows on the market today, how many do you think has a centered grip?

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
Hey Buster. This has me thinking.

If it were so desirable and effective, then why wouldnt they all would switch over to a centered grip? :dontknow:

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Understood. But most dont even come on here to read your explaination. Thats what I'm getting at.

Out of all the bows on the market today, how many do you think has a centered grip?
Many Martins, Alpines, all Hoyt models, Mathew's target bows, Persons, and probably a few others, not even mentioning foreign bows like Merlin. So a good share of them do. Until sinles evolved and until binary cams showed up nearly all bows did.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
Many Martins, Alpines, all Hoyt models, Mathew's target bows, Persons, and probably a few others, not even mentioning foreign bows like Merlin. So a good share of them do. Until sinles evolved and until binary cams showed up nearly all bows did.
It would be interesting to do the research and see how many of each is being made today.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts