Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excluding other factors- cars,hunters,accidents,mother nature,etc.

What percentage of bucks have the genetics to be a 150 class deer if left alone? Do you think most bucks would reach that level if they live long enough? I mean if the nutrition is there. Do you think half would get there or only a small percentage?

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
Not most. I read a study with that exact statistic estimated and though I can't remember exactly, I know it was lower than I would have thought.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I'm not sure but I know I have taken 3 deer in the past 2 years that were 5.5(1) and 6.5(2) years old........all were under 125"

Now nutrition isn't the best around here so that may have something to do with it

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I think the area is the most important...........Midwest seems to be the place, for larger percentage of 150 or bigger...........

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
I think most bucks have the genetic potential to reach 150.
200, that's a whole different thing!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
i dunno the percentage that have the genetics to be 150" plus. around here, maybe 25%? of that 25%, most of them get shot before they get there or don't have the nutrition available to get over 120" or so

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
I also have to think it's area specific. I don't believe the # is high by any stretch, but in certain areas, with age, lots will get there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts