Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been wanting to extend the woods where I hunt and will be able to do it this spring. It is a creek bottom with some patches of oaks and the rest is tall grass and scrubby brush. The rest of the property, about 2/3 of the 40 acres is open field. Deer seem to love the property, but I really want to make more hunting area by increasing the woods. I know a lot of people that plant pines and autumn olive to create quick cover (supposedly 8-10 years and it's pretty thick).

I would really like some opinions on what to plant. I really appreciate any advice you guys can give me. I plan on planting trees for wind breaks, concelement from the road and for a pine grove as a possible bedding area. I live in Michigan and the soil is average to good.

I was also wondering if I should fertilize the trees with compost or something when I plant them and how close to put them.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I would plant white pine, they grow pretty fast and have braches all the way to the bottom. I try to hunt out of the because it is easy to have a well concealed treestand and should also provide more cover for the deer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts