Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
787 Posts
I also have a Darton. Actually three of them.

All I use is a "light"....coat of Bohning "Seal-Tite" string wax on the string serving. I also keep the track/rail/deck clean and dry. As in wiping excess wax off of the track after it/if it starts to build up

The track is hard anodized, it's already a fairly slippery surface.
It's also a hard surface, so while some lubes may feel slippery at first, it'll wipe right off because of the hard dense anodized material.

I've got probably over 500 shots now thru my Fireforce, original string, serving per the care above.
My Stinger and Impact get the same care.

This is one thing that Darton did that most (some Hortons also) do not do...use a VERY light string to track load. This helps the string live seemingly for ever..

Mike

· Registered
4,249 Posts
I will not use the "grease" put out by crossbow manufacturers as "lube". I don't trust it because I don't know how various weather temperatures will affect the performance of the bow. I will hunt with mine in Wisconsin in December and I suspect the "grease" will not perform the same way at minus 10 degrees farenheit as it does at 70.

I have started to use Remington Gun Oil With Teflon. It is $2 for a small bottle at Cabela's and Gander (I buy the liquid and not the spray can form). I put some lube on a rag and run it up and down the rails of my bow. It leaves a very permanent slippery surface that does not seem to rub off with shooting.

DO NOT use that oil inside your gun barrels, however. Competition rifle shooters told me that the heat and pressure generated by bullets (if memory serves me correctly rifle barrels are proofed at 50,000 PSI) changes the consistency of the Teflon inside the barrel and permanently alters the barrel. This information is 15+ years old and may be outdated ... but I won't take a chance with my rifles.

Works great on my crossbows, however. Been using it for 5 years now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.