Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are allowed two stands to be left out per public hunting area. I am pretty sure based on the modus operandi of one hunter that he has at least seven stands in one part of an area that is fairly close to town. His sets are easy to distinguish from others but I am not 100% sure all are his, just 95% sure..:wink:

I walked a non hunting area yesterday and was back at the truck 1.5 hours before sunset. The other side of the road is bow only. I am sitting in the truck and decide that I did not want to deal with hauling a stand and sticks in to set up a place to hunt. This guy pulls up and gets out of his SUV and walks in with just his bow as I was leaving.

The same fellow was illegally baiting one spot this season and I showed him the reg book on that, so he went in and dumped the corn out of the trickle feeder onto the ground.....:zip:

He has one stand on the no hunting area, again 95% sure.. This guy has been doing this for years.....he is in his 70's and still getting out there and hunting with the bow on public land, which is good but his MO kind of sticks in my craw.

How would you feel about something like this happening at the area you hunt at?

What say U?

·
Team Mongrel Rookie
4,509 Posts
I would report him.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Call the CO and tell them what you know and what you are seeing. Why should the rules be different for him? Because he's old? Because he's been doing it this way for a long time?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I say take care of u and urs and piss one everyone else..u done showed him u kno what he is doing u call the lo and u liable to come out with 4 flat tires and busted glass..again my opinion he will get what coming his way cheaters will get theirs one day..if I was calling any law i wud not let him kno I was in the world..just gonna cause problems if u ask me let him hunt and cheat..or just to take few boxes of moth balls and throw out round that corn he won't se sh&@ for days

·
Registered
980 Posts
Watch which way he goes and then go sit in one of his other stands, or at least 95% of it:)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Behead the ol' SOB !!! He's outlived his usefulness anyway.
There: is that harsh enough for you guys? Me, I'd leave the old fellow alone. He probably isn't hurting the deer herd much and at his age, he's more than likely hunting for more than deer now anyway. That's my 2 cents.
That stand prep and feeding may be a source of exercise and purpose for keeping it going for him.
Flame away, ***holes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ I pretty much agree with that but this does bother me some..anyway, in this situation ratting him out is not an option that I would pursue.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would go buy mountain lion, coyote urine or anything that will deter deer and put near every stand he has.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
What side of the road does he park on?
What way does he face the parked vehicle?
How far off the road does he park?

These are the important questions. :darkbeer:

·
Back down to ground level
16,314 Posts
Sounds like it's time the law of averages catches up with him. If he's illegal at 70, he's probably been all his life. I wouldn't say anything about the stands, but hunting in a 'no hunting zone' will give all hunters a bad rap in the papers if a non hunter sees him.
If you know he's there, keep your distance so he can't see you, and yell out questions like... What are you doing there? What's you're name? You know you can't hunt here?, Then say you're reporting him, and start a fake phone call as you walk away.
The law probably wouldn't catch him if they did know about it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Zap... i get on several threads with ya, and most of the time we agree... for me, I'd let the old fart do what he has been doing for years. Sometimes laws and reg's are a good thing but sometimes they are not. The old guy is probably giving the finger to the reg's and doing what he has done for 50 years (probably longer than you have been alive). Now while this does not give him good reason to do what he is doing... What the hell does it truly hurt?? Sometimes in life Zap, you need to just pick the bridge you are willing to die on... and so i ask you this, if you change this guys ways thru harassment, threats, or by turning him in... what do you gain? and secondly, what ever that gain is, will it be worth it? Trust me in that i have seen and been around this type of crap before, and while it does or can piss you off a little, at the end of the day, figure out what is important in life and move on. For me, i would laugh and tell the old ******* good luck and hope he gets the big one, then i would get on down the road.

now if this is super important to you... then giddy up get his butt ticketed, SUV confiscated, hunting license suspended, etc.

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
kick his neck off:wink:....then sell him your snapping turtle!

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Just call the CO. There is no need to confront him. We pay the government to do this. They are trained and equiped to take care of him. 70 or not, some humans need to go to court and possible jail to learn. Call the CO and get him enrolled in a good lesson!

·
pro deer watcher
2,336 Posts
Dont matter if your 7 or 70. Right is right and wrong is wrong. If he was 30 years old would you report him? I agree choose battles wisely but..... around my parts a phone call would get made

1 - 20 of 81 Posts