Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious, what sells you on a new bow? It seems that bows in general, look similar. I understand there are differences with each bow/manufacturer but what features are most appealing to you? I saw a picture of a Bowtech Experience tonight and thought to myself..."Self, this bow looks similar to a PSE or Monster". Athens, Elite, Prime, New Breed all have very similar riser designs and use similar if not the same cam system. Is it the strings? Finish? Or service you receive at the shop? With so much similarity out there, what makes a bow stand out? Heck, maybe it's as simple as the good looking blonde that is shooting the bow ;)

·
Waiting on Season
14,910 Posts
The ability to Frankenstein it into what I want

·
Registered
5,243 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
What the person who out shoots me is shooting it must be the bow...lol

·
Registered
17,345 Posts
Specs, reach my draw length, valley, usa made, how it shoots for me.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,743 Posts
After owning a lot of different bows, here is my take on it.

1. Above all else is draw, valley, and let off.....mostly how easy it is to hold it back at full draw. If it wants to take off on me easily, or if I must hold too hard into the wall, it's not for me.

2. ATA and brace height. I'm finished with short, easy to torque bows.

3. Riser style and grip. I seriously doubt I will ever buy another bow with a lot of reflex in the riser. Grip....must be to my likings.

4. Type of cable containment system. Fixed roller guards suck. Flex guards are no doubt best. The very least I'll accept is either an adjustable cable rod or a properly curved cable rod.

5. Tunability. Dual yokes = superior tuning.

6. Mass weight and bow balance.

6. Looks. I don't like ugly bows. I like waffles for breakfast but not on my bows.

And there you have it from Skeets perspective.

·
Registered
574 Posts
When I'm shopping for a new bow, I shoot as many different models as I can and pick the one that I'm most comfortable with. As Skeet said, grip, draw cycle, mass weight and balance are the most important features to me.

·
Heavy Hitter
2,525 Posts
I buy something that just plain shoots, I always used to check spec sheets to determine my bow purchases, but switched to my new bows because they just shoot well, plain and simple.

·
Registered
14,259 Posts
A few of the things that I look at are draw cycle is at the top. Then transition into the valley and noise level.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
From Archer to Santa:
Dear Santa, I would like a new left hand 60#, 28" DL bow somewhere around 35" ATA and somewhere near 7" brace (forgiving); somewhere close to 4 lbs; very nice smooth draw; nice valley; comfortable let off (doesn't want to take off on you or feels locked up); holds on target / good balance; accurate, reasonably fast; low torque, comfortable grip; reasonably quiet; easy to tune; no cam lean issues; stays in time; easy to let down; durable; elegant looks; great fit and finish; pre-streched factory strings that I don't have to change out immediately; great customer service; comfortable to hold and shoot, works great for hunting, 3d, and field shoots. Yours truly, Davey

From Santa to Archer:
Dear Davey: If you find one like that, please buy one for me. Sincerely, Santa

1 - 20 of 21 Posts