Archery Talk Forum banner

How much should Dealers make on a new bow?...

• 0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10%

Votes: 48 14.4%
  • 20%

Votes: 115 34.4%
  • 30%

Votes: 109 32.6%
  • 40%

Votes: 33 9.9%
  • 50%

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • 60%

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 70% or more

Votes: 9 2.7%
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...or should they simply supply Archers their bows at cost:eek:

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
they need to make money to stay in business. it would be nice to get them at cost but that is unrealistic. i think 20% is a fair mark up. if a shop reats me good they will keep me coming back for all my other needs.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
average 30% don don....

I find a bow shop that tries to make more, doesn't get my business since everyone knows you can make more on accessories than a single bow to begin with.

but if you want to supply at cost, supply my gas cost to come to arkansas as well so i would be well rounded. for all of that I would put a small sticker on my stabilizer and advertise for you. stitching on my shooters shirts you will have to pay for though, sorry.

·
Registered
223 Posts
???

how much do they actually make 50% ??????

·
Registered
569 Posts
As much as they can get people to pay.....If you feel it is right to determine THEIR income, then it must be right for someone else to determine YOURS. When my friends start about the govt needs to set gas prices I tell em to remember that if the govt can cap the price of gas they can also cap your pay.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

HELL NO!
...you're not one of those AT'ers who actually think Dealers should MAKE money are you:eek:

...I would say after reading along on a number of threads over time, that many AT'ers think Dealers should almost give away product or services so they themselves can get on AT and brag openly to the entire world about the "deal" they got:darkbeer:

...Isn't it almost considered proper nowdays for someone to go into an Archery Dealer or Pro Shop and say...

..."I saw it on AT for cheaper" and EXPECT the Dealer to cave??...

...or to say...

..."I heard on AT where they were priced for $XXX.XX at another Dealer"...and EXPECT the Dealer to price match??...

...I mean isn't it in good AT taste or considered coventional AT wisdom to out your Dealer in public if he/she gives "you" a great "deal":shade:

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
If they could make 50% we might have some pretty nice shops to shoot at. :)

Most would probably consider it a good year , if they could clear 10%. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
10,764 Posts
Buddy just picked up his new '08 Dren yesterday. Shop had them marked $839, he paid $500. All told he walked OTD with bow, Ripcord, 12 Maxima 3D Selects, S-Coil, HHA sight, and Meta peep for $863 - dealers cost. Now tell me there is not major markup! No bull, he knows the dealer and actually was shown the invoices for the stuff.

Z

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
...I CALL BS...he "may have" paid this price, but it is far BELOW cost on this unit...

...then what in your opinion "is" reasonable "markup"??...

...oh yeah lots of:cow:

...dude, your "buddy" was blowing smoke up your rear end!!:D
Yup. Absolute BS with regard to what the bow cost.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
$800.00 is what they make on new bows.:wink:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Buddy just picked up his new '08 Dren yesterday. Shop had them marked $839, he paid $500. All told he walked OTD with bow, Ripcord, 12 Maxima 3D Selects, S-Coil, HHA sight, and Meta peep for $863 - dealers cost. Now tell me there is not major markup! No bull, he knows the dealer and actually was shown the invoices for the stuff.

Z

bow retail 839 rip cord 80 arrows 130 s coil 20 hha sight 100 peep 15

total 1184 cost 863 dealer probably did not have shipping or tax so he lost $$$$$ ( by the way I think you are wrong on the bow costing $500, not the same dealer price list I was aware of)

as for mark up lets see total mark up 37% or 321 total profit if the shop gets full retail not much profit buy the time they pay employees and overhead of the business

Lets say a shop sells 4 bows a day like this (total bows sold 960 per year,, this would not be a small shop selling 1000 bows a year) for 5 days a week = 6420 per week or 25, 680 per month total profit

What does it take to open a shop , lease per month on the shop I am thinking about is I think 6,000 per month he has 2-3 employees lets say payroll per month if each employee makes 36k year so payroll would be 9k per month not counting any additional benefits , or ss tax match, workmans comp insurance,,, ect

electric, miss overhead ect just to keep the shop doors open cost them 17-19,000 per month I am sure I am missing something
so the shop nets ?????????5-6 k per month or 60-72k per year,, I will not work for that

I do not see the Major markup you are talking about

·
Bowhemian
8,300 Posts
40% is standard retail markup.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
5-6 k per month or 60-72k per year,, I will not work for that

UHHHH..........:rolleyes: I'm with ya buddy. $72,000 ...Chump change. :wink:

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
My local dealer for Mathews and Bowtech was celling the DXT for $850.00 and the Airbornes for $854.00 and telling all they are making nothing off the bows. While you could drive 90 miles away and pay $770.00 for the Airborne and pretty close for the DXT and not have to pay sales tax in the next state. More than worth the trip. After 4 months of lost sales same prices as all now showing old price like you are getting a bargain now.

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
My local dealer for Mathews and Bowtech was celling the DXT for $850.00 and the Airbornes for $854.00 and telling all they are making nothing off the bows. While you could drive 90 miles away and pay $770.00 for the Airborne and pretty close for the DXT and not have to pay sales tax in the next state. More than worth the trip. After 4 months of lost sales same prices as all now showing old price like you are getting a bargain now.
If you or anyone else is driving accross the state line, purchasing the bow in person, and the dealer is not charging state sales tax...then that dealer is violating state law.

No matter how you slice it, the margin in bows is slim at best...even if you can get MSRP.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I used to do sales in the motorsports section (snomobiles, dirtbikes, atvs, etc...) and we would try to get a 10% profit on the items that we sold. Some people would say pure bs that we didn't make more money on a 12,000 dollar snowmobile. then the same person would have no problem going into the parts section of the store and paying 100% markup for stuff in that area.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I was talkin to the manager at Sportsmans Warehouse about this one day.
He said even with the volume of bows that they sell, the money is in the accesories. He told me what they make on most bows. I've spent a lot of time talkin to him and he's not a b.ser, It was not as much as you would think. Everyone would like to get a deal, but overhead for any shop is high.
I don't think there are very many small shops gettin rich doing it, but they put in a lot of time, have to put up with some peoples crap and still make a living.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts