Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I got a question.

I have a diamond nitrous, It's an 08 model but has a 2009 sight and rest.

I am starting a job and will be making about $1000 this summer. (im 14 years old)

the nitrous shoots good but I like to upgrade every year. I want a new bow.

so my question is, should i 'pimp' out my nitrous or get a new bow? I would really like an accomplice 34. i can steal get an alright sight and rest but i could get a sweet one for my nitrous.

what should i do? thanks

·
Registered
871 Posts
It's realy up to you but that nitrous is a sweet shooter. You could get top end sight and rest save the money and wait a year and buy the bow cause you will already have the rest of the stuff.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I would stick with what you got and save your money. Don't get caught up in the need to buy a new bow every 5 minutes. New bows are great but honestly what will you be gaining? A few fps maybe. The nitrous is a pretty good bow from what I've read.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have held very good steady employment since I was your age. Now I am 29 years old and have a ****load of debt that if I had kept the bows and guns that I was happy with instead of buying the newest coolest thing every year I would be much better off. Sure I have had a lot of fun since my mid 90s Darton Apache, but I could still be killing things with it just the same as I am now with the Destroyer. The only thing I have to gain is some experiance and opinions to talk about on this forum. This is going to sound old and ****** but if you are happy and killing stuff with your current setup save some money for school and a house.....maybe a diesel truck! Or quit working till you get out of high school, chase some girls, play some sports, and have some fun.

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts
I've always been big on saving money. If I was to give you advice it would be to put half of the money you're going to earn in your savings account and spend the other half wisely. At least archery equipment is better then a video game or cell phone.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've always been big on saving money. If I was to give you advice it would be to put half of the money you're going to earn in your savings account and spend the other half wisely. At least archery equipment is better then a video game or cell phone.
And by wisely I think everyone will say don't spend it on a women!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree. I have a hard time gettn my girls out of the house so keep doing what you enjoy, don't get caught up with always wanting the latest and greatest. I shot a Z-max for the last 7 years and got really comfortable with it and shot it well. Only upgraded recently because I couldn't turn down the price.

·
Registered
325 Posts
What ever you do you need to get one bow and stick with it until you learn it like the back of your hand. If you change up all the time you'll never get used to a bow and you'll always just be "ok" at shooting. If you get one and stick with it, I mean really stay with one bow for a while you'll get to know it's "ins" and "outs" and you'll be able to shoot it like it's a part of you.
There's an old saying "Beware the one gun man because he probably knows how to use it." same can be said for bows.
Pick one and stay with it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
im with tnut, ive spent tons of money on the latest and greatest. from snowmobiles/ guns/ decoys/duck and goose calls and everything in between. im 29 now and wish i had a lot of that money back! had a lot of fun but if you have something that works good stick with it. killing something with a $500 set up is just as dead as killing it with a $1500 set up. JMHO

·
Registered
81 Posts
im with tnut, ive spent tons of money on the latest and greatest. from snowmobiles/ guns/ decoys/duck and goose calls and everything in between. im 29 now and wish i had a lot of that money back! had a lot of fun but if you have something that works good stick with it. killing something with a $500 set up is just as dead as killing it with a $1500 set up. JMHO
I forgot to mention the other toys! It was fun wasn't it. But now its just stories.

·
Registered
775 Posts
its your money do what you want, but consider its only a 2 yr old bow so you wont gain much difference with the newer bows in the same price/class unless you spend alot more than the bow you have now to get the better spec's/features.
being 14 yrs old I'd say if the bow is good for you right now & for 3-5 years keep it & save up your money for a even better bow down the road when you're closer to being done growing. just imagine what the bow specs are in 5 years ? the basic IBO might be 340 & speed bows might be 400+ & bows weighing 3 lbs or less for 30" A/A.
save your money cuz no need to buy a new bow every other year.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I would say you could try and see how much you could sell yours for and get a new bow if you really want one. you can find lots of good sights and rest in the classifieds for cheap. or use old ones it all comes down to are you happy shooting the bow you got they all get the job done. Have you shot the accomplice 34? I would also put half in a savings like 60x mentioned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts