Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going elk hunting this year and want to make sure that I use the best setup possible. I am using a Hoyt magnatec at 29 inch draw length and 70 lb weight. My arrows are cut at 26 1/2 inches. I have a half dozen Beman ICS 400 and a half dozen Carbon Express Terminator Hunter 4560. Im not sure which arrows I am going to hunt with yet. I want to know which weight broadheads would work best for what im going to be doing. Right now I have 100 grain 3 blade Muzzy's. Should I use heavier broadhead with this set up or is 100 grain enough? Please let me know what you thing...thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
Smokey480,

I'm going elk hunting this year and am using the G5 Montec in 100 grain. I'm confident in my set up and know the trajectory of my arrows, so no worries! I'd say the Muzzys are a good choice, just make sure they fly good. You do your part and those Muzzys will do theirs!

Ray C.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
either arrow will work but I'd use the ICS Hunter.. If you want to try a broadhead that flies great and penetrates better than most check out the new Magnus stinger- Im hunting bulls in New Mexico this fall with the 4 blade(2 are bleeders) with acc's Ive been practicing with them for abput a month and love em!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Smokey- You are pulling 70# at 29" with a fairly short arrow, I assume your speed and KE is not really an issue here. The only concern you should have now, is can you tune what you have and consistently shoot solid groups at say 20/3040 yards. If your answer is yes, then you are set, your gear is not going to present a problem. If no, you might have a serious FOC problem. Get it right, don't take a chance on this elk hunt.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Muzzy broadheads will work. I would consider the Steelforce. I like them just a little better than the Magnus Broadheads which there is nothing wrong with them either.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
smokey it doesn;t matter which head you use just make sure it flies well with your set up. you can try 100 and 125 grain bh's and just see which groups better for you then practice with the heads your interested in and see which will work there also. good luck by the way and be in shape lol
rob k

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
125 grain Steel Force tit

Try the 125 grain Steelhead Titianum 4 Blade Its awesome pretty small and tough

flies likea dart too.....

Tink

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
they are a good head but i prefer the rocket steelheads over any of them and if it;s legal you might want to look at the 100's or 125's and you will like how they fly and the entrance and exit holes they make
good luck
rob k

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
The Thunderheads work great. I have even seen a passthrough at 30 yds on a moose with a 100gr tipped 2413. I have had no problems with them on elk over the years at all.:) Only ever broke 1 and that was on a CLEAN MISS into a boulder the size of my truck.:( Good Luck on your hunt!

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
No to Mechs on Elk

Some western States don't allow mechanicls heads on elk and many many oufitters don't allow mech on elk.

I Tough strong will made fixed- cut on contact 125 grain - 140head is prerered by most elk hunters I know

An awesome head for larger game is the 145 grain 4 Blade Muzzy
I had a client take a 1600 Bull eland and a 650# elk sized Kudu Bull Both went 75 yards for a 70# BowTINK

1 - 11 of 11 Posts