Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up an extreme 1 3/4 scope w/ 3x lens, what strength and size clarifer should I use? I will be using mainly for outdoor 3d, and some indoor 3d?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
You probably won't need a clarifier.
A super peep allows you the option of changing the size of the aperture without changing your peep.

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Not everyones eyes are the same. Would probably try the yellow 1/8 if what you have is blurry. Mine was not bad but once I put the yellow in I could actually see the X in the middle.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not everyones eyes are the same. Would probably try the yellow 1/8 if what you have is blurry. Mine was not bad but once I put the yellow in I could actually see the X in the middle.
do you think 1/8 is ok. I used a #2 1/8 with my viper 6x and it worked out ok I guess, but I noticed on super peeps website they rec. a 3/64,1/16,or a 3/32. That just seems really small to me. ????

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
True enough, but the majority won't need one until they go over 4X. For outdoors shooting 3D your best bet would be to play with the scope distance in and out with different size peeps to see if that works first. Why add an extra lens if you really don't need it.
For me, I use a 3/64" yellow for a 6X superscope indoors, but a plain 3/32" peep for a 4X CR Apex 3D scope for 3D.
The only way to know is to try differnt configurations out and see what works for you...

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True enough, but the majority won't need one until they go over 4X. For outdoors shooting 3D your best bet would be to play with the scope distance in and out with different size peeps to see if that works first. Why add an extra lens if you really don't need it.
For me, I use a 3/64" yellow for a 6X superscope indoors, but a plain 3/32" peep for a 4X CR Apex 3D scope for 3D.
The only way to know is to try differnt configurations out and see what works for you...
I thought you were going to say that. I just don't want to buy 2,3, or 4 aperatures or clarifiers to get what I need. Those babies are over $20 a pop.

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
I know. It can get kind of expensive. Check your local pro shop and see if they have the display. It has like four different powers in it and you can hold it up to your eye while looking through your scope. My local shop will let me try out different ones in the store so it is no biggie. Most shops however do not carry a lot of target stuff. Makes it hard on most.

As for size, I have found that 1/8 works with most scopes. Not to guarantee it will with yours. I have 5 different regular peeps laying around and when I change something I just use them to figure out the aperature size that works best.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I thought you were going to say that. I just don't want to buy 2,3, or 4 aperatures or clarifiers to get what I need. Those babies are over $20 a pop.
You're right it can get expensive in a hurry. Most proshops will let you try them (if they have them) or borrow different sizes from your shooting buddies to try out. I bought the peep kit through Lancasters and then tried a friends clarifiers to see what size worked for me...

Attachments

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
I tried a clarifier to clear up the scope a bit. I have the yellow one, lowest power....I think. Definately made the scope image razor sharp but I lost the dot in the scope. Didn't work with a fiber for me either. I get the best image for my 51 year-old eyes with the smallest peep I can get away with and no clarifier.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I tried a clarifier to clear up the scope a bit. I have the yellow one, lowest power....I think. Definately made the scope image razor sharp but I lost the dot in the scope. Didn't work with a fiber for me either. I get the best image for my 51 year-old eyes with the smallest peep I can get away with and no clarifier.
I agree. If you want to shoot a clarifier try a lens over your shooting eye that is .75. Like eye glasses with one lens in them. You will be amazed at how clear and sharp the fiber will be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts