Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new sight but I don't know which size guard to get. Can someone please explain the pros and cons of the large pin guard versus the small guard? I will be mostly hunting spot and stock

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Speed of the bow plays a role, bow is fast enough to allow however many pins you employ to be set for specific yardages. Also most folks these days use the method of sighting in which you center the housing barely inside the peep. Depending on what size peep you're going to use might dictate which size housing you need.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
More than five pins= large, single pin= small that's what I would suggest.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I would get a 2 inch guard or smaller.I have the large guard spothogg and I would prefer the small guard.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
When it comes to low light hunting situations of dusk and dawn, you will wish you had the large guard.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this is only my 3rd month shooting so I am still learning a lot. Right now I'm shooting a 2 inch guard and I like it. If you like a small guard please tell me why.

Thanks again

·
Registered
221 Posts
I like a smaller guard just because the way it fits inside my peep sight. I center my pin guard or housing inside my peep sight so that I can use that as a consistancy point. With the larger pin guard it doesn't seem as if I am able to center the housing inside my peep sight. I know a larger peep sight would correct that problem but I like the peep sight I have now. Personally I like the slightest bit of light showing around the pin guard when I center it inside my peep. But as others have mentioned it may depend on how fast your bow is and how many pins you want to shoot. I am not sure what size my pin guard is but I can get a 20 yard pin and an 80 yard pin in it.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
2 in. Big sight picture for hunting. Use a 1/4 peep and the ring will sit right inside the peep to ensure perfect form. I shoot 60-70 yards for practice and this combo is deadly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a LG SpotHogg Hunter and use the 5/16" G5 peep and the pin guard is still too big to fit inside my peeps sight picture. I have a 29.5" DL. The Small Guard SH is 2". The LG is over 2". I think the 2" SG in the SpottHogg Hunter would be ideal for the 5/16" peep....for me anyways. That's why I'm trying to trade my sight fo a small guard SH Hunter

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
How old you are can determine what size to get. If you use glassess to read with a smaller housing will work better than a larger one because if you decide to go with a verifier to clear up the fibers it will be easier to match up a smaller housing because verifiers only come in 1/8 and 1/4 inch sizes.

·
Bonehunter
8,843 Posts
1 5/8" - 1 3/4" for me, with 1/4" peep @ 28" draw. I hate big pin housings, on single or multi pin sights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts