Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Team Mongrel Rookie
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a used tractor/ implements to do some food plots on my place...around 3 acres. What size tractor do I need? What other implements will I need? The soil where I am is very rocky by the way!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would get around a 40 horse tractor with a draw bar. One bottom breaking plow(if you can find one) and an 8' disk. You can broadcast most seed by hand if you had to(except for corn)and get by. Everyone seems to want three point so the draw bar tractors tend to go cheaper. The thing thats nice about a draw bar tractor, if you get your implement stuck, you unhook and pull your implement out backwards.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
I have a couple of tractors. This is something like I would get.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Around a 40 hp tractor would be good. But with a 40 hp you will not be able to pull more than a 2-3 bottom plow. Also a 3 pt disc big enough for that size tractor does not work well with rocks or on small plots since you have to go straight with them. You turn a little with the disc engaged and you will quickly bend the arms on it. I would get a 4' to 6' tiller for it assuming you can get rid of the larger rocks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts