Archery Talk Forum banner

What sort or butcher are you?

• cut along spine...grind the rest.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Every cut is separated and labeled as such.

Votes: 77 68.8%
  • I take my deer to a butcher, and he cuts it into?

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • Sausage/jerky

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Explain how the deer makes it to the table. tips and tricks welcome?

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
It depends for me. If its the first deer of the year I usually cut it into steaks, loins, stew meat and some ground. Next deer gets loins cut out and the rest into burger.

·
Grumpy Old Man
26,842 Posts
Backstrap/steak/roast/burger

Steaks or roasts come from the hams......burger comes from whatever isn't the other 3.......:tongue:

·
Registered
25,046 Posts
i make steaks, spedies. if i get a doe and buck im sending one out to get sausage made

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Well done brother, what cuts do you prefer? Im also looking for first hand recipes.
Hams are cut into steaks/chops, Backstraps are cut into chops, front shoulder is deboned and ground into burger along with any other meat I can clean off the body!!!!! A little secret is to take the meat and let it sit in Ice,water, salt, and sugar for a day or two.. I also make my own marinade that I put into a vacum seal bag with the chops and then freeze!!!! The meat freeze into blocks of marinade and when I thaw I just place in the frigde and let thaw already marinaded!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
i was a professional butcher at one time,so it takes me about 20 minutes from start to finish thats including removing the hide and quartering,i bone everything out after it sits a a refrig for a couple of days,front querters are hamburger,back quarters either smoked,hamburger,some round steaks,loins are sliced up

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hams are cut into steaks/chops, Backstraps are cut into chops, front shoulder is deboned and ground into burger along with any other meat I can clean off the body!!!!! A little secret is to take the meat and let it sit in Ice,water, salt, and sugar for a day or two.. I also make my own marinade that I put into a vacum seal bag with the chops and then freeze!!!! The meat freeze into blocks of marinade and when I thaw I just place in the frigde and let thaw already marinaded!!!!!!!!
Day or two, then freeze? I got a vac sealer for Christmas and am looking forward to trying it.

·
Registered
587 Posts
early season deer take out the loins, then cube the rest and can it. (makes for awesome stew meat or a quick fix for sandwiches) once it cools enough to let em hang take the loins, the make some steaks and grind the rest. late season and gun season, just loins and grind whats left and make it into summer sausage, breakfast sausage, italian sausage, brats, and snack sticks. we eat alot of deer in my family.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I do everything my self.

Most of everything I do is chunked up and weighed into 5 pound portions then vacummed sealed and frozen. Then this allows me to take out the exact amount to make batches of summer sausage, snack sticks, breakfast sausage, chubbies or so forth.

I almost never do steaks or roasts. The loins are always butterflied. I do grind and package some burger. Sometimes meat sliced up for jerky.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Day or two, then freeze? I got a vac sealer for Christmas and am looking forward to trying it.
Correct, the icy brine draws blood out of the meat which takes the gamey flavor out of the meat!!!!! We used to let meat hang and it just tasted bland or wild, started doing the icey brine and I never had anyone that did not like the taste!!!!! My wife and I and the son live off of deer, we take 6-7 deer a year to make it through the year with meat (beef sucks).....

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Every cut is separated and labeled as such.

·
Registered
9,637 Posts
Depends what I'm feeling

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am lucky....my father in law was a butcher, and used to own a meat processing facility. He has done a couple of mine and the last few I got he has been teaching me. Backstraps, top round roast, bottom round, sirloin tip, eye round and most of the rest gets ground and I make it all into sausage.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Backstrap/steak/roast/burger

Steaks or roasts come from the hams......burger comes from whatever isn't the other 3.......:tongue:
X2

Exatly how i do it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Always enjoyed processing my own. It's a great feeling for me to complete the process from scouting to harvest to processing to the dinner table.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I love ground venison. I make a few roasts, some stew meat and grind the rest. By mixing some higher quality meat into the grind raises the level of your meat.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts