Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy my first corss bow and want to know which scope style will give me the best ability to shoot under super low light conditions.

I will most likely buy a horton package bow and can select either the cross hairs setup or the three red dots.

Will the three illlumated red dots glow too bright to blind me ? Is the corsshair actually the best for low light ?

I know both will work in regular light - but the low light is my concern. I cannot shoot my current G5 illuminated sight through my peep on my verticle bow and want to shoot into dimmer light conditions - I can see the deer and the rack but not aim my bow - hopefully the right scope selection will help.

thanks guys.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
http://www.hawkeoptics.com/us/crossbow/xb30/index.php

XB30 Series
Crossbow Perfection

Features
• Red / Green Illuminated Reticle
• High performance 30mm optical system
• 1/2 M.O.A Finger Adjustment
• Locking Fast Focus Ocular
• Nitrogen purged, Waterproof, Fog & Shock proof
• Supplied with Double Screw One-Piece Mount
• Adjustable to match ANY crossbow
(speeds ranging from 210 to 360 ft/sec)
• Hawke Worldwide Warranty

The New XB30 is a high performance 30mm crossbow specific scope featuring a crossbow speed selector and illuminated glass etched range finding reticle – All the scope you could ever wish for!

The 30 mm optics allow high levels of light transmission even when light starts to drop, when game is more active – such as dawn and dusk. All lenses are fully multi-coated and hand selected to guarantee optimum image quality with impressive colour and contrast.

The precision glass etched reticle has been expertly designed to offer aim points at exact 10 yard intervals of 20, 30, 40, 50 & 60yards. The aim points are fine crosses offering extreme accuracy. They measure 2 inches across at the corresponding distances.

Alongside the aim points are measuring bars, useful for quick range-finding. Each bar segment measures 12 inches at the corresponding distance. This allows range finding of 12, 24, 36 and 48 inches.

The reticle aim points illuminate red and green. Special attention has been given to the intensity of illumination. Levels 1-3 offer a low level illumination very useful in low light situations. Levels 4 and 5 are a higher intensity ideally suited for daytime shooting when aiming into areas with a dark background, where reticles can easily be lost. With the reticle illumination switched off, the aim points remain black.

To ensure that the XB30 is exactly set-up to your crossbow, an incorporated speed selector allows fine tuning so that the reticle is always accurate and at equal 10 yard aim points. The speed selector allows the scope to be fully compatible with crossbows from 210 through 360 ft/sec.

Setting up the XB30 couldn’t be easier. It comes supplied with a pre-installed high strength double screw one-piece mount, designed to fit securely onto the crossbows weaver rail. Once installed the ½ MOA turrets positively and smoothly adjust the reticle to the correct ‘zero’. With over 100 MOA of movement, the XB30 can be adjusted an incredible 20 inches at 20 yards.

·
Incureable tinkerer
4,257 Posts
Personally I prefer crosshair to red dots. Normally, crosshairs come in a scope that magnifies, (most) red dots do not and have to be adjusted for intensity or can actually obscure the target esp if dot is 5mm and larger.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I have had three different scopes for hunting.Im not the norm here as most want a powered scope.For hunting under 40 yards the red dot is hard to beat.I can shoot it with both eyes open.I turn the brightness down for low light and it works great.So for me if i have to pull up and shoot ,the red dot is it.
When i shot target practice out to 50 yards the crosshairs were it.i could put the bolts in a 2" circle at 40 yards.I can still put the bolts in a 4" circle with my red dot,and if a buck apears for a fast shot,that dot is real nice.JIM

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
Hawke XB-30 ... any Conditions darker than that can handle ... you need a weapon light and any ole crosshair.:wink:

·
Registered
21,730 Posts
I know what your talking about. From what i have used and seen. A red dot sight will wash out the deer under the conditions you speak of. And unless a scope has good glass and a very heavy cross hair you cant see the cross hair.Most cross bow scopes are fixed 3 power with fixed aiming points. So you might end up with some weird 20yd 33yd 42yd sight in (you get my point). The ones that adjust for speed work but if your bow shoots around 350 fps. The scope is set at 5 power or around that. The scopes i have tried except for one. That have a lit cross hair are worth less under very low light.

What i have found that does work up to and will past legal shooting times. Which you know you run in to in the early season. And some times its daylight several more min's on the other side of the ridge.
Bushnell had EOtech make a sight for them. That will work if you can see it you can hit it. It has 20 brightness settings.And both eyes wide open. The down side you have to turn it on when you start your hunt (adjust brightness) and that last 15 min's or so you have to turn it down. It does run off batteries but has a 250 hour run time on 12 power. Thats a bunch of hunting plus i have never hunted with it on 12 power. When you turn on the sight it checks the batteries and will flash if there low. I put new batteries in this season and have not changed them. I think i paid 260 to 280 for this sight. Not cheap.

I bought a scope the other day. Millet DMS 1-4x24. Its a big scope i think. But it does work under very low light it has 11 brightness settings. If your base plate on your bow is on the short side as mine are. Mounting this scope will require offset rings. I used a Optimizer with this scope. To be honest its no longer on my bow. I didn't care for it but some might. Its going on my muzzle loader.
Anyway that's just my findings i haven't tried every scope.
Best of luck

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
scopes

brother just got the Ten Point turbo with there good scope.(3xpro view)It also hascross hairs and lit dots if needed.his problem is the lenz,it always has a reflection in it when hunting from a tree.It picks up the sky,and unless you put your hand over it,you can hardly shoot it.He took a buck with it,but had a hard time seeing it.

ive never had my red dot blur out a deer,if ifs that late im hunting past shooting hours.i can use mine till i cant see horns any more,JIM

·
Registered
25 Posts
red dot or green is best it seam 2 me the late hrs the green is best esp the last 10min but u can buy the scope with both the old man from IL.

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
The illuminated Hawke ... crossbow scopes ... the SR and the XB-30 ... give you both red and green option at your whim. Personally, I use red at dawn & dusk and green during the day if it's cloudy or under a dark canopy. The green seems to jump out better in daylight for me. http://www.hawkeoptics.com/us/crossbow/xb30/index.php

1 - 9 of 9 Posts