Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how early do yall get to your deer stand in the mornings and how late do you stay?? I'm just curious as to the times and the reasons, I have my own but want to see the response first. easton94

·
Registered
156 Posts
If Im hunting public land I have a routine I follow-I get to the spot 2hrs early no head lites when getting close if possable be very queit no slamming car doors etc.Sneak in, no flash lite to stand once in the stand I`ll change any sweety clothes and settle in,Usualy about an 11/2 hours before daylite. I let the other hunters push the deer towards me. I`ve been very sucsessfull by doing this. I dont climb down tell its dark in case I spook any deer. I also feel safer walking out at nite with a flash lite.
PS.I always were snake boots tell winter.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I like to be ready and set to go in my tree with less than 15 minutes till I can see to shoot. When leaving I won't start cllimbing down until I can't see to shoot, unless there are deer around I'll try to out wait them.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Day Light

EASTON94
I guess I'm a little different then most. I started going in later, like when I can see maybe 20-50 yds! I use to bump alot of Deer when I went in 1 hr before daylight:( Changed tactics and now go in later. See just as many Deer or more now. Also I feel the longer your in your stand before Daylite the more time your scent can spread? I know people will argue but its how I do it. Ask a couple of P&Y's I've got lucky enough to get :)
Also I leave when I can't see my sights at Dark. My new Cosmic might let me hunt till 12:00 AM:D Do what ever works. Dave

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok im getting similar responses as to what i do. i too wait until i can see at least enought to not be stumbling over every branch, rock and stick in the woods. when i go in well before daylight i feel like i either make alot of noise or have to use a flashlight which is just as bad. at dark i get out of dodge as soon as i dont feel comfortable shooting unless deer are there. i have a couple of hunting buddies that when i hunt with them im waiting til 30-45 minutes after pictch dark for them to meet me. they like to get in VERY early to. if i have a quiet route to the stand i will get there 30 or so minutes before daylight. thanks for the responses, keep em comin. im curious to see an overall response. easton94

·
Registered
46 Posts
Typically I like to start in before it is light enough to see without light and arrive at my stand site just as it's light enough to see without the aid of a light. I used to think walking in with a light was bad, but after hunting at Tara/Willow Point I don't think so anymore. They take you to the stand over a hour before light enough to see. As for getting down in the evening I usually don't get down until I can't see about 30 yrds or so. Of course if deer are around I let them get out a little before coming down.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I like to be in the stand about 15 to 20 minutes before first light. Stay until I can't see the sights. If deer have been around in the evening, I'll stay a little later. After getting a doe early in the season, I will have a tendency to hunt between 10:00 A.M. to 2:30 P.M. During the midday hunts, I have better luck seeing more mature bucks.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Pretty much like eastons method but different reasons...we have cougars on our lease....which the game and fish say dont exist....and if i'm gonna run into one of them rascals...at least want to see him...have also noticed in daylight they will run if they see you and at night they will stand their ground even with flashlight.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I pretty much do like easton 94 and mobuck.And kildog, I know the AR GFC says we don't have cougars but if we don't have any,WHY do we have a law protecting them? We don't have a law protecting elephant and we don't have them either.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Thats right olereloader...I said to them " so if they are not there then we can shoot them?" and the agfc said " no way...thats against the law, they are protected!" and I said ""well if they don't exist then I would just be shooting into thin air . right" and he dismissed me as an infidel!!

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
i usually get there about 30 to 45 minutes before light and stay depending on the time of year until dark 30 unless it;s early in the year when temps in oklahoma reach 90 in the early season of october.
rob k

·
Registered
852 Posts
I like to get in the stand an hour or so before there's enough light to shoot, for a couple of reasons: 1st off, I typically hunt woods that are part of travel routes between the feilds, and bedding cover, so if I get in early enough, most of the deer are still in the feilds while I'm sneaking into the woods... 2nd, I like to have plenty of time for the woods to settle down before shooting light - there's plenty of times that deer are walking around before good enough shooting light - oblivious to my presence in the tree... Lastly, I feel an early approach gives a little time for any ground scent that might've been left during my entrance to dissapate - I am VERY scent conscience...

As for the end of the day, I stay in stand until I can't see to shoot - unless there's deer around that I don't want to "bump"... Occasionally, I've been "trapped" on stand, without having enough light to shoot - while having a good buck walk right under me, grunting his head off!!!

- georgestrings

·
Registered
37,117 Posts
I like to get to my stand before light. I do use a small flashlight because I feel that a little light is better than alot of loud noise. I also feel that alot of the deer are still in the fields at this time although once the rut starts its a crap shoot as to where the bucks will be. At night I like to get down while I can still see because I don't want to be tempted to shoot at a buck when its to dark. I have seen too many people take shots when it was just to dark and that leads to bad hits and wounded animals. Theres always another day to get him...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts