Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase my first bow (age 32). I want to spend no more than 600 for a RTS bow. I have been doing research/looking around and I'm torn between buying a used Mathews Switchback or a new with warranty Mission Maniac. So I was wondering which one you would suggest?

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I would suggest getting a used Elite over any bow because they carry a transferable warrenty and give you the same excellent customer service as a New bow... They also add in a Hunters guarentee now that guarentee's a hunter a bow to shoot if yours should fail when out on that hunt of a lifetime and say something goes wrong... Great performance bows, awsome transferable warrenty and quality next to none...If your into hunting, try an Elite Z28,,, One of the best bows around ....Good luck!

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Used offers way more bang for your buck. I've owned a few different bows and never had anything happen that needed to be fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
15,553 Posts
For your first bow you may want to go used...you can find some great deals. And being your first bow...you may want to try something different in the near future. You will take a hit on a new bow if you sell it within the year.

·
Hunt Now-Not Later
3,303 Posts
used-more for your money and the last 2 i bought used you couldnt tell.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
As long as there's nothing major wrong with it, I agree it is probably better to get a used one. But if you're new to the game and you have an experienced friend to check the used bow out, I'd do that.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
there are some aweful nice RTS packages for less than $600 brand new.

take a look at some of the PSE and Diamond Packages

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
if interested, i got a switchback xt loaded, ill let go for 600!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
The warranty issue is the only downside to buying used (that and the fact that you never truly KNOW what the previous owner did with the bow). That being said, bows depreciate faster than vehicles, so I prefer to let someone else take the hit, and buy used.

With it being your first bow, however, I would try and find a reputable shop near you. They will be able to do a lot for you from setting you up properly, answering any questions you may have along the way, provide accessories, build you arrows, etc. Plus, you're supporting a local shop, and getting a warranty (if purchasing new).

It really boils down to what you prioritize. Would you rather save some money, and go at it by yourself, or maybe spend a little more and retain a valid warranty?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I just bought my son a mission maniac. mostly because of the adjustability while he grows. He loves it. The price was good too.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Quest !

I would consider Quest, the are amazingly smooth and realy nice for the money ! I shot Mathews for years and am now shooting a Quest. I also have a new Quest QS31 for $400. TYD check it out online and PM me if interested !:wink:

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Get the warranty. I bought my first newer bow 2 yrs ago and have used the warranty like 5 times.

Had i bought used i would be screwed. Dont own either but Martin and Elite have some great service when buying used and encountering problems.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
think I would go used elite

·
Threat Level Midnight
847 Posts
Get the warranty. I bought my first newer bow 2 yrs ago and have used the warranty like 5 times.
Wow....what happened?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If buying used, Elite is the best because of the transferable warranty. But, it is rare you will need warranty service with any of the top brand name bow manufacturers these days. For a first bow, I would go to a reputable and knowledgeble pro shop. Talk to your friends to find one that they prefer to work with and why they like to work with them. Some shops sell new and used bows. But the key is getting something that fits you completely in size, style and price. That's a tall order and it takes a lot of experience and knowledge to fill the bill. Whenever you buy something used there was a reason why the seller sold it. Try to find out why.

As I said before, true warranty service is not a likely issue for you new or used but good customer service will definately be needed, especially for a new archer. Good customer service, (knowledge, trust, timeliness, etc.) is a rare commodity for any product and for many shops. Ask around, shop around and work with the one you feel most confident in. Chances are it is the same shop your friends like to use too.

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
Whatever you do...I would say don't buy one on Ebay. Buy it here, or on Craigslist or a direct contact/friend.

On Craigslist...you can go look at bow...shoot it...maybe even take it to a local dealer to have him check out before you buy.

The person selling on Ebay is very possibly someone who won't sell it here due to problem issues on bow. Then if you get a bow with a problem...harder to deal with.

From what I've seen, I haven't spotted any posts of people getting ripped off by buying through AT classified. Not saying it hasn't happened...but likelihood is less.

JMO.

As far as warranty transfer...I do not believe any bow company will transfer the lifetime warranty to a non-original owner. At least I have never heard of any. If Elite does that I would be surprised...I would check out the website and make sure. If they do transfer...that would be awesome, and I would agree with the previous post.

And I completely agree with this:
As I said before, true warranty service is not a likely issue for you new or used but good customer service will definately be needed, especially for a new archer. Good customer service, (knowledge, trust, timeliness, etc.) is a rare commodity for any product and for many shops. Ask around, shop around and work with the one you feel most confident in. Chances are it is the same shop your friends like to use too.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I bought a used 2007 PSE XForce 7 from a fellow AT'r and friend, saved me a ton of money over new. Put a new Americas Best string on it; and this bow is rocking my world!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts