Archery Talk Forum banner

What to do about pin gap????

1603 Views 53 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  Paul Morris
THis is the wierdest thing I have ever seen, I have an 07 BT allegiance 70 lb max turned down two full turns right around 62 lbs! my 20 and 30 are pretty close together, 40 is almost 1/2 inch lower and I had to use my 60 for 50 because it wouldn't go low enough! This is what it looks like sorry for the crappy pic! I had to move the 50 as far out of the way as I could, Any Ideas on why?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
Maybe REALLY heavy arrows?
Or your peep height is off?

Lien2
My guess would be that your peep location is causing you to have to anchor different (higher) at the longer yardage, thus causing the arrow to be pointed down.

Set your peep height at 40-50 yards and then reset your pins.

· Registered
552 Posts
check your rest and nock point along with the other settings. If you are nock high you may get this problem as well. I had the opposite problem and was nock low. I didnt see a problem until I got out past 40 yds and then all of a sudden I didnt have enough room to move my pins up!

· Registered
47,636 Posts
Did you mark the limb bolts before backing them out? If you don't you can't be sure you backed them out evenly. And this would cause your nock point to move up or down. That would create an odd pin gap pattern as your arrow would now be "porpoising" downrange.

If you didn't mark them just max them out again, place a mark on the bolt and a corresponding mark elsewhere, then just back them out to the marks for a complete turn. All my limb bolts have marks on them. :wink:

· Registered
3,868 Posts
Bow has to be out of tune even with a heavy arrow the gap between 40 to 50 should be bigger than 30 to 40. Drag will slow down your arrow the farther you shoot. Check nock height and cam timing to start.

· Registered
2,809 Posts
Assuming the bow was in tune, when you turned down the poundage did you measure the tiller? Since that was the only change thats where I would go first. Tape measure from string to limb pocket should be the same or really close.
Second retune the bow. Hope it helps.

· Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advise guys, I just had it tuned a couple days ago, I am shooting axis FMJ 400's with an 85 grain Montec, I am guessing aroung 410 grains, the sight is a spot-hogg hogg-it hunter and a trophy taker drop away!

I have never seen anything like this in ten years, I do all of my own work, so I know everything is right, I just cant figure it out!

· Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is my first attempt at sighting this bow in so everything is new, but i have an 08 that I am shooting for 3-d same exact set up, but have not sighted it in past 20 yet either!

· Registered
1,344 Posts
Maybe your getting nerved out about trashing an arrow and having a tiny target panic issue. Set the pins where you think they should be approximately and let'em fly (if it's feasable). I bet you'll be surprised:wink:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.