Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
ObsessionArchery.com
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a question.
I hunt a farm that has a big nasty thick section on it. The problem is there are very few mature trees to hang stands in.

The brush and grass is tall in some areas. Some saplings are 10-12ft high and the grassy areas are 4-6 ft high. There are some birch trees that are probably 30-40 ft but are only a few inches around. Even ladder stands on these wave in the breeze.

I was considering a ground blind but since season has already started, what do I do?

I would have to cut lanes open from the blind. Otherwise, I would never see the deer. And I'm afraid that if I cut the lanes the deer will abandon the area.

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Here in central TX we don't have a lot of trees big enough for a stand. A lot of guys use tripod stands.

·
ObsessionArchery.com
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem with find a food source...in Illinois, it's everywhere.
Corn, winter wheat, soybeans to the south, alfalfa to the west.

·
ObsessionArchery.com
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a creek that runs the entire length of the east side and then it turns north west and runs up thru the middle of the thick area.

More than enough water and more than enough food. I have scouted this area in the early spring but don't like to just wander around the area during hunting season.

thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Wear a Ghillie suit. Just put it on clear shooting lanes, and set up . I just read an article about a woman in the same shape as you. No trees for a stand, and couldn't work a blind in either. She had "Shape Shifter" make her a custom Ghillie suit, and killed an awsome buck just sittin in a fence line. Hope this helps. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
DO YOU HAVE A 4 WHEELER OR SOMETHING TO KNOCK THE GRASSES DOWN THEN SETUP A BIND AROUND THE INTERSECTION OF THE GRASSES. SORTA MAKE YOUR SELF A LITLLE NKNOCK DOWN FIELD AND HUNT OFF IT....

·
ObsessionArchery.com
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm gonna try the ground blind. I think I will wait until we get closer to the rut though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts