Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 4 day trip to Ohio semi planned but got a phone call the other night about a hunting club here in town.

The club here is STRICTLY managed and the cost is very affordable.

REMEMBER though a good deer here MIGHT make 120"-125"

I am FOR SURE going to Indiana the first week of Nov.

Should I pay my money here to hunt here or spend my dollars on 4 days in Ohio?

The cost pretty much mirror each other.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Unless you have some prime property to hunt here in OH I would hunt the club. Good spots close to home are hard to come by, plus you can come to OH any time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would have to say stay home. like you said a 120-125" buck is just as rare as probably a 150" in Ohio on good Ohio land. Just because the buck would more than likely score more in Ohio if you were successful doesn't mean it's any more of a trophy than a 120" buck in your Home area. And it sounds like you'd be able to hunt more than 4 days at home. Spend your money on gas and find some good public land in the Midwest. Cheaper than paying an outfitter and for most it is more satisfying to do it on your own. That's my opinion of course.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems like everybody I give the scenario to has the same reaction.

I just want to kill e a 140"-150" buck......and it aint hardly gonna happen here.

But I will be able to take my boy here, which time with my kids is WAY more important than any buck.

Maybe I will only need one road trip to make it happen in Indiana........

Sometimes I build stuff up, to a level that cant possibly be reasonable, like Ohio......last yr I put my whole yr on that trip and it SUCKED bad and I felt like my whole year was ruined.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
keeping up with your numerous on again off again money is no object how many different states should i hunt this year is tiring me out can only imagine how tired you must be. :chortle:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

I just want to kill e a 140"-150" buck......and it aint hardly gonna happen here.

But I will be able to take my boy here, which time with my kids is WAY more important than any buck.

Sometimes I build stuff up, to a level that cant possibly be reasonable, like Ohio......last yr I put my whole yr on that trip and it SUCKED bad and I felt like my whole year was ruined.
You answered your own questions in this post. Your kids are WAY MORE important than a 150" deer and spending ALOT of time with them getting into the sport is more important than any deer period. Stay home and lock in on that club, which I am betting will be a long term commitment instead of 1 four day hunt. Good luck in Indiana.

·
Registered
531 Posts
If you can "take (your) boy here" what's the question. Life is too short- hunt with your son. He'll be gone before you know it. Then you go to Ohio.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
If im.not mistaken happy dad i believe i talked to you last year on the ohio rut thread and you wasnt having much luck, i believe you asked if you could hunt the land im on, if i were you, and i didnt have prime land to hunt in ohio then i would hunt around home, sure you might not get the bruiser you are after but you have next year and if i was you i would come to ohio for 2 or 3 days towards the end of spring and lay the ground work to get some prime land to hunt for next year, but of course thats my thought, and you have to have the time and money also. Anyways the best of luck to you my friend

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
keeping up with your numerous on again off again money is no object how many different states should i hunt this year is tiring me out can only imagine how tired you must be. :chortle:
I have to go to work to get a break man.........my mind is constantly churning, CONSTANTLY.......my wife almost hates me......if I wasnt sooo freakin sexy I would be in trouble

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
z7master, we may have spoke, I dont remember.........I did have terrible luck last year but alot of folks did......I chalked it up to alot of acorns and funky moon?

I was going to try it again this year because I had 2 REALLY good encounters in 09.......just couldnt close the deal.

As far as finding "prime" land in Ohio, I dont know where to start looking. Are you speaking of clubs or what?

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
Ive traveled out of state the last 2 years. its fun but Im staying home this year.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
No what i do is drive around in the evenings and find big bucks using fields and i start door knockin thats how i got all of my property to hunt. There are some great public land spots you just have to find the ones that are not hunted much i dont know whereabouts you hunt in ohio but there is tons of public land in lawrence county although i have never killed a big one on public land tbey are there i have seen too many of them

·
Registered
864 Posts
Everyone wants to shoot a big deer!!! If I ever get to the point where my season is ruined because I didn't get a monster its time for me to cash in. I can't wait to drill a doe and the 115" buck I have on camera. I love to hunt!!! Some people like to kill big deer only. Thats not hunting for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts