Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all do with the coyotes when you kill them. I'd want to mount one if it was a nice looking coyote. What do you do if you kill them normally? do you have to burn a tag on them here in illinois. I've heard that if you use ur gun during a firearm deer season you have to use a deer tag which is stupid. What if you kill one with archery equip. during bow season, do you still have to burn a tag?

Anyone have a coyote mount they want to show of one here :).

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Im not sure about IL, but here in CA you dont need any type of tag, you can shoot a many as you want,all year round.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
We don't need any type of tags...when i shoot one i skin him out and tan him...:teeth:...

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Well where I'm from Montana you can sell the hides if the hides are decent and can shoot them all year round, same for most Western states.. Here in Jersey they have a season on them and you have to notify fish and Game if you kill one. Seems weird as Jersey has more Yote attacks on humans than i've ever heard of anywhere else. But you don't have to use a deer tag.

I really doubt you'd have to burn a tag, look in your game regs you Should have a copy of them.. Randy

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
No way, you certainly don't need to use a deer permit on a 'yote!

They do make awesome trophies though. I would like to save some pelts one of these seasons but up to this point I've only saved skulls. I also have a coyote shoulder mount on my wall that looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i thought i read that in the rules and regs that you have to use an open firearm tag if a yote is shot during the shotgun seasons

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
I was speaking only of BOW.

Yes, don't shoot a 'yote during firearm deer season.

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
I'll make every effort possible and legal to kill every coyote I see.

Problem they're Wiley critters, and hard to kill.

Wiley Coyote's...I slay my self!!! How many people did I just generation gap?:D:D:D

·
Registered
414 Posts
Does anyone else feel guilty about killing a yote just to kill it? I know that they can hurt deer populations, so that pushes me to want to take some out. But I also am a staunch believer of only killing something if I plan to eat it...Am I the only one with this internal conflict?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Here in OK its open season year round. packs gettin bigger ever year!!

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Ky has no regs on killin coyotes....I donate mine to the H.F.T.P* foundation. I kill every single one I get a shot at and hunt them relgously from now until march.

*Hunters Feeding The Possums.....

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
rino3 said:
put in a pile for the buzzards they have to eat too
txsbowhunter said:
im from txs ... for all they care you could use it for fertilizer haha ...
Wired To Hunt said:
Does anyone else feel guilty about killing a yote just to kill it?
Guilty? :chortle: You gotta be kidding! As much damage as they do to the game populations around here, I'll never stop killing them...nor will I ever feel guilty. :rant:

Coyotes are very cunning, elusive, killers. Granted that's their nature, but it is up to us humans to control their numbers. They don't have any natural predators, in the midwestern states.

Out west they have natural predators, which also serve as competition for food too. Just the same, if their numbers are not controlled, they'll destroy other game populations. It takes a lot of game animals to feed a male and female....and their 4 to 6 pups. :mad: Kill 'em! :rip:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Does anyone else feel guilty about killing a yote just to kill it? I know that they can hurt deer populations, so that pushes me to want to take some out. But I also am a staunch believer of only killing something if I plan to eat it...Am I the only one with this internal conflict?
No internal conflicts here........

·
THE BAR Bartender
21,269 Posts
I have a former customer of mine(he's retired) that traps during the winter making some extra spending money selling hides. I give him my coyotes.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I hate to take anything's life and don't do so lightly, but in my mind yotes are detrimental to the deer population where I hunt, so they are fair game. Many times I've come across the remains of yote kills on my property. Seems they mostly target young fawns and other weak animals. In hunting whitetails most of us use the logic that we are helping to control their population, thereby rendering a public service. Well yotes are much more prolific breeders than whitetails, so this logic can also be applied to them. Shoot every one you see. I promise you won't be able to kill them all...

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
pink06 said:
Shoot every one you see. I promise you won't be able to kill them all...
pink06,
You got that right, brother! :nod: As soon as you kill one or two, others from the surrounding area move in to their territory. They're far worse than groundhogs for taking over an area and wiping out everything in a section. :uzi:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

1 - 20 of 20 Posts