Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Vendor
25,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most bag targets are designed to last a couple years and a couple thousand arrows. We call it built in obsolescence. The manufacturers get paid to haul out some industrial scrap, then put it in an inexpensive bag and sell it as a target. It works well for a few years then most throw them away and buy another. What is worse to me is putting a new cover over an old bag. If the cover was good to begin with we wouldn't need to buy another. Putting a cover over a target that is worn out in the middle will still have a soft spot in the middle.

After years of selling the rag bag and hearing a lot of people unable to find enough clothing to fill one. We put together one today and took pictures to sort of help show how to rebuild an old store bought target. The target we are rebuilding today is a big but target. Its funny that after carhart clothing moved out of the Louisville area, big butt targets went out of business. I cut the target open a couple days ago and let it dry out.
20150428_122923.jpg

Take a Third Hand Archery Rag Bag and put a leaf bag or a construction bag inside the rag bag.
20150428_123052.jpg

Over fill the Leaf bag with stuffing from the old target. Insert vacuum hose wrap plastic around the hose and turn the vacuum on. Susk as much air out as possible. Turn the vacuum of and repeat to get more stuffing in the target.

20150428_124026 (1).jpg

·
Vendor
25,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now that the bag has been stuffed a few times take a cut off piece of an arrow about 6 inches long and use it for a pilot hole for the zip tie. Suck the bag down again and while it is still sucking take the velcro and close it. Now take the arrow in the middle of the target and push it through the bag under the velcro with a zip tie in the back end of the arrow and pull it through. Then push the arrow back through about an inch in front of the first hole under the velcro. Pull the zip tie through and lock it. Do the same a bout 5 inches to both sides of the middle.
20150428_124542.jpg 20150428_124553.jpg

After the vacuum is removed the bag will fill back up tight. Lay the bag on the ground and smash it as shown. Please don' t laugh too much at this old fat boy.
20150428_124901.jpg

·
Vendor
25,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want quick, easy and cheap, take two metal T post used to hang barbed wire fence. Pound them in the ground 6" wider than the bag is full. Hang the bag by the ears on top as shown. shoot a few 400 grain arrows at 350 fps and remove them with one finger. SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!
20150428_143002.jpg

To make the bag last longer and keep it out of the view of the neighbors cover it with another leaf bag like this.
20150428_143242.jpg

We hope this helps some save AT'ers money and keep old targets out of the dump.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I bought two of these target bags last year. Still have not opened the second one as the first is still going strong. I cannot say enough about how durable these things are. My wife and I have put thousands of arrows into it and it shows very little wear other than I had to repaint the spots a couple of times. We love playing tic tac toe on it. I would buy these again in a heart beat.

gt

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have and old Delta McKenzie target with a shot out face that I will be using to stuff my second bag target I bought from you. The first one I stuffed with old towels I had laying around. I had bought two bag targets assuming I would wear out the first one like I did the DM target but so far I have not needed it and that has been a very pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Great post and photos Jim. I like the idea of the vacuum to compress the bag more. Over the years, I have worn several Rag Bag covers out. When I replace a cover what I usually do is remove part of the stuffing, slide the old bag with remaining contents into the new bag, and then insert the rest of the stuffing.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
JF: Our Third Hand Rag Bags come with a lifetime guarantee. If you wear a quarter sized hole in all aiming dots, empty the clothing and send it back for a new one.
Didn't know that. That's awesome.

·
Vendor
25,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tripleb: It is harder to do than most think. Most wear a big hole in the middle but they still have 17 more spots to shoot. We put that many spots to make it outlast any other target on the market when it was designed. Here is one of two targets we warranted in 25 years. The back side took 60,000 shots.

2013-05-01 16.34.06.jpg

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
tripleb: It is harder to do than most think. Most wear a big hole in the middle but they still have 17 more spots to shoot. We put that many spots to make it outlast any other target on the market when it was designed. Here is one of two targets we warranted in 25 years. The back side took 60,000 shots.

View attachment 2230898
Oh I doubt I'll ever use the guarantee. I like shoot 80 yards alot and only shoot only middle at that yardage so my middle gets to where I need new bag way before the other dots are really even close. And at 28 bucks tmd no big deal.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
1 - 20 of 135 Posts