Archery Talk Forum banner

What to do with those front shoulders?

1098 Views 11 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Matt Riffle
We were getting tired of grinding all the front shoulders so here is what we did. After cleaning the front shoulder, removing clots, fat and other stuff, take the whole shoulder and place it on foil, season with Lowerys season salt and garlic powder. Turn over and repeat. Wrap foil tightly around whole shoulder and cook at 350* for about 2 hours (160* if you have a meat thermoter) Meat will be very moist and tasty, can remove meat and serve as is, cut meat off and use as soup meat, mix with BBQ and serve as a sandwish. This has turned out to be one of my familys fav. ways to serve deer.

P.S. it can also be cooked on the grill this way.

Matt
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4,251 Posts
i gotta try this, because i've been getting tired of shoulder meat, and the time it takes to remove all the sinew and tendons for meat thats not all that great. cooking the whole thing sounds interesting. wanna get some ideas for cooking the whole shanks also, someone told me once they slow cook the shanks in kind of a greek pot roast recipe whole(like lamb shanks). gotta give this a try because i've been tossing the shanks into the woods lately, because of the lenghty surgical process to get any meat off of them:wink:

· The pugs keeper
5,959 Posts
I alot of the times will make that meat into corned venison. Turns out great. brine it for several days and when you pressure cook it all the silver skin and any other unwanted stuff just peels away. I had a whole bunch of scrap like this, lots of it was fatty looking but after cooking just peer meat. It taste alot like corned beef and makes one hell of a reuben sandwhich.

· Registered
34 Posts
another variation for some sweet tasting BBQ is take that shoulder put it in a foil lined pan with water in it cover the shoulder with meat tenderizer and rap the foil over the top of the shoulder now that its sealed in cook at about 250 all day long. then take it out it falls off the bone and you mix in BBQ and chop it up some.

(just dont forget to leave the cole slaw out cant stand it on BBQ):wink:

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
thats what we do. bake it for a couple hours in the oven then but bar b q sauce on it for sandwiches.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.