Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice venison roast from a 2 and a half year old buck I'm gonna cook how should I cook it?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
crock pot! mmmm...mmm....good

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
I like 'em smoked.:smile:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Slow cooker usually. What is left over from dinner gets turned into barbeque for sandwiches...

iowaPete

·
after that he's gone
1,684 Posts
Crockpot or slice it up and fry it which is my favorite.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
154 Posts
The individual parts as steak, or the whole thing in the crockpot for about 9 hours.

·
Hunt Fair Chase
2,596 Posts
Dice up a small onion, 4-5 carrots, and 3-4 potatoes. Put them on the bottom of a crockpot or slow cooker. Trim the roast up of any fat, etc, and salt and pepper it to taste. Place it on the bed of veggies/onion.

Take 1-cup of water, or 1-cup of beef boullion, and pour it in the crockpot. Put it on low, and leave it there about 10 hours, until the meat easily seperates with a fork, and really until the potatoes are tender.

Right before serving, make some gravy with the liquid in the crock pot, and serve hot. :beer:

·
Registered
107 Posts
MOC Has the right idea. I like to put the onions on the bottom of the crock then the meat and put the taters and carrots on top. I use a packet of "pot roast" seasoning from the grocery store.

·
Hunt Fair Chase
2,596 Posts
MOC Has the right idea. I like to put the onions on the bottom of the crock then the meat and put the taters and carrots on top. I use a packet of "pot roast" seasoning from the grocery store.

Dang it.....my mouth is watering now. :mg:

I debone my meat, so never end up with a bone like that, but you can tell how tender the crock pot gets them by how he just pulled out the bone like that.

Mom told me many years ago to always put the veggies on the bottom of the crockpot. Never knew why, never asked. Just did what Mom told me to!

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,268 Posts
Try this way and you'll nevr cook a venison roast again any other way....but you will need a Webber Charcoal Grill.

- Take your roast and stab knife slits in it all around the entire roast.

- Dice /finely chop up a good amount of fresh garlic (the more the better) and stuff the knife slits/holes in the roast with the garlic.

- Get a pack of Webber's (formaly Durkee) Black Peppercorn Marinate.

- In a large mixing bowl, pour in about 3-4 table spoons of oil (your choice).

- Add 1 teaspoon of water.

- Pour in at least 1/2 the pack of Peppercorn (the more you add the hotter/black peppery the roast will be).

- Roll the roast around in the oil/water/ black peppercorn mixture (it should be a little less then pasty but not watery) and cover the entire roast. Leave the roast in the bowl and cover it for at least 15 mins. I've let them sit in the fridge for a day or two sometimes with no problem.

Pack the back of your grill with charcoal at least rack high and 1/3 around for indirect heating. Get the charcoals good and hot. Drop a handful or 2 of whatever smoking wood you like directly above the charcoals on the grilling rack. (I mix Jack Daniels chipped up oak bourbon barrels and hickory chips and let them soak in water while I'm doing all the other stuff. You can also pour some bourbon on the wood chips in whatever container they're soaking in). Place your garlic stuffed, black peppercorn covered roast on the grilling rack oppisite the charcoals, and put the cover on the grill with the vent of the cover directly above the roast. Open the vents up all the way (top and bottom) and leave it for at least 45 mins (for a 3#-4# roast). Don't keep taking the cover off and checking, you'll let all the heat out. After 45 mins you can check it and depending on how rare or well done you like your roast, depends on whether you take it off or leave it on for a few more minutes. Once it's done, let it sit for 5 mins before sllicing it up. If it too rare (for some people...) you can always place the rare slices over the coals and cook them seperately a little more.

Add some morrells and home grown asparagus (oh yeah, cook the asparagus over the remaining charcoals after spreading them out in the bottom of the grill after the roast is done and while it's cooling). Asparagus cooked over charcoal is awsome.

It sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't. Start to finish, including time for the charcoals to get red hot is maybe 2 hrs. It'll be worth it!! :darkbeer:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts