Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my camera yesterday afternoon and had a few pics of two decent bucks. I have seen a buck that is significantly larger than these two on two different occassions, but have been unable to get a picture of him (saw horns while he was in velvet from about 400 yards with my bare eyes...they really stood out against the corn). So with season about to open, and these two smaller bucks coming in, should I hold off a little if they present a shot in hopes of getting the bigger buck, or should I take any good shot presented by any of the deer (there is a huge doe running around too)? If I get one this year, it will be my first with a bow (the place I hunted in LA wasn't real conducive to bowhunting...I tried but just couldn't get it to work out). I am currently living in a one deer limit area of Ohio, and we can only kill one buck per year anyways, no matter what area you're in. If any of you more experienced bowhunters were in this situation, what would you do? Anything I get will be a trophy to me, but would it be worth the risk to hold off in hopes that the big one might show later in the season? I'm gonna try to attach pics of the two smaller bucks...hopefully I can get it to work.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Either of those 2 bucks would be nice as a first deer with a bow. My first was a big doe. I would like to hav the will to hold out for awhile, but if one of those 2 walked out and your sitting up there and its a good opportunity i would have to take it. then i would be saying " man I should have waited". There are no guarantees in hunting. Take what is given and let the cards fall where they may.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Bucks

Take either one. Get your first one under your belt and the backstraps in the freezer! If the other survives the season and the winter he'll be bigger next year and you can worry about him then.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
If you got skunked through december and would be happy in Jan to take one of those, I would lay it on them now. Obiously this is a common thought process but it reigns true.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Pic 06 has a nice buck in the back...I think???

Both of these Deer are 1 1/2 to 2 1/2... I am not sure where you are hunting but if you can afford to wait a year or two they both will produce better racks.

Also in Pic # 6 the deer in the back appears to be more mature deer based on the rack, but you really can't age deer on the hoof based on a rack. that may be the deer you want?

Either way.. your right, your first Deer with a Bow will be a trophy regardless of age and score.

Good Luck!!!

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
I agree both are young, but if you need to shoot one, take the one if the first picture...the second one I would guess a year and half with great genes...Let him grow and you will be happy a couple of years down the road...E

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I take it you live in the NW part of the state? My advice would be to hold out on those bucks for another year.. Just think what they may turn into.. Being in Ohio, theres a good chance to see something bigger anyhow.. For more deer, id also suggest hitting up some other countys, pleanty of options for living in Ohio..

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
rule of thumb...

Never pass on a deer the first day of the season, that you would be happy with on the last day of the season :darkbeer:

·
74,535 Posts
In Ohio

I would bet if you wait untell the rut. You will harvest a bigger deer.

Watch them younger bucks and learn, harvest a doe for meat.

One never knows what might come by. Good luck.:wink:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not sure about next season

I currently rent the place I am living at now, and the place I am hunting borders the rental property in good ol' Putnam county. The man who owns the crop land is really nice and would probably let me hunt there again next year, even though hopefully we will be in our own house by that time. I can't guarantee that though. The reason he let me hunt the land is because after talking to me he felt I was serious about hunting it in a good way (he's had people come in and do drives during gun season without regard for houses, livestock, or actual permission :eek: ). I'm gonna make sure I don't do anything to change that perception. Once the soybeans and corn are harvested, the only cover for a large area (few hundred acres) is a treeline running alongside a creek (it is in the background of the pics), a lot of which is covered in the land I can hunt. When we first moved here, I saw a few deer running that treeline, but since the crops are so high, they have been holding in them constantly. The biggest deer I saw always had others running along behind him...I guess it is likely that these two were running around with him. I found some beds in the soybeans the size of truck beds. I thought both deer were young, but I'm having a hard time adjusting to the body size of deer up here...they are a good bit larger than what I was used to in Louisiana.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
wait on the bigger buck...I think theres a good one in the background of the first pic? Shoot a doe for meat and wait on a bigger buck, he'll slip up at least once this season. Flingr

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have not shot anything with my bow yet either, but I would pass on both of those deer just to let them age a couple more years. My suggestion would be to try for a doe for the freezer, and who knows, maybe a bruiser will come by and give you a shot.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
One deer limit. I would have to decide if I wanted to be done hunting for the rest of the season. That would be my first question to answer.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just my luck...

Well, the combine started rolling through this afternoon. :cry: It will take them a day or two, but all the corn will be gone soon. I sure was hoping they would hold off another week or two. The deer have all been bedding there and browsing their way into the soybeans. I guess they will go back to the treeline (at least I hope they do), but I can't get there until the soybeans are harvested! I made one trek through them and ended up pulling a muscle in my leg trying to get through the beans, :eek: so that won't happen again. I guess I will get a chance to observe them more, since I figure they will be browsing the cut corn for food. I guess with a 1 deer limit and a nice, long season, it isn't too bad of a deal, but I sure was wanting to try to get out there this weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts