Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading to south central Nebraska in a couple weeks to hunt from the 23rd-30th of Oct. What can I expect heading out there? I have heard a few good things but this is my first out of state hunting trip. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Harvest is moving along pretty good so that should get the deer out of the corn and moving. You'll be a little early to get much rutting going on but I'm sure some activity will start up around then.

Where exactly are you going?

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
I have an uncle who lives in Lincoln. That part is pretty much like North Dakota and eastern Colorado. It's windy, open and hilly. Most of the area you will be hunting, will have few trees. Lots of corn fields.

·
Registered
845 Posts
You can expect a bunch of cornholes wearing red.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
In the Hastings area the harvest is going good (slowed a bit the last 2 days do to a few sprinkles) so by then you should be able to see some deer moving around since a fair amount of corn will be out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. What sized deer (bucks) can I expect in that area?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thanks. What sized deer (bucks) can I expect in that area?
Are you going with an outfitter? Public? Family/friends land? It really just depends. We have the obvious one big handicap, a rifle season smack in the middle of the rut. Hastings area is very open for the most part. Trees will be minimal unless your hunting on the Platte. If you dont have a good age structure in the area your going, you may be doing really good to see a 120" deer, on the flip side if you're hunting big enough properties that have limited gun pressure you can expect to see as big of deer as you'll see anywhere. Nebraska is a great whitetail state plauged with bad management practices as a whole.....just depends what side of the fence you find yourself on. Good luck

·
Registered
175 Posts
If your name, "ksu...", suggests where you're from I laugh at you good sir as these "cornholes in red" just dismantled your KSU Housecats.
What he said....................... Somebody sure is quiet all of a sudden............:behindsof

There are big bucks in that part of the state, they're not easily found, but hey that's how they get big! Hunt hard and hunt safe.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Just like everyone else said, it varies greatly even around Hastings. As for potential, Old Mossy Horns was killed within a 100 miles of Hastings so there's proof that this area of the state can raise some giant deer.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info. I will be hunting private land but I am unsure on the management practices in the area. Hopefully while I am scouting I can gauge that. Coming from the swamps and woodlots of central/northern michigan I think it is giong to be a big difference. I hunt out of a tree saddle is there anything I should be aware of before getting there ( tree size, species of trees common to the area?)

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
If you've got a ground blind, you might consider bringing that too. There are alot of places without trees big enough to get real high with a treestand but I think your tree saddle might do the trick (I've been tempted to get one).

·
Registered
506 Posts
We have gone from NC to Nebraska and hunted in the Hastings area for the last 8yrs.... 2 of us have gotten a 137 class 8pt, 156 class mainframe 8 with a large droptine and another drop broken off that would have been roughly 8 inches or so putting him in the 164 gross range. a nice 138 inch 10pt another 10pt with a 22 inch spread, we killed a 10 last year with split g2's and a nice 128class 10pt and we saw a booner on the hoof...it was the biggest deer I have ever seen including years of hunting in Ohio, it wasnt on our hunt but it was absolutely a freak typical 10 and if you put a gun to my head I would say it was 20 plus inches wide and the g2's looked 14 plus inches long.
We drive around scouting for the first few days we are there and we have seen NUMEROUS deer over 130.

If you like to trophy hunt they are there, be patient and set your mind on what you will or wont shoot. We have taken some nice deer now and we target 130 plus class deer. Thats not huge by some of your standards but for NC boys thats a shooter.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
If your name, "ksu...", suggests where you're from I laugh at you good sir as these "cornholes in red" just dismantled your KSU Housecats.
LMAO @ ksu

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I never realized that the fastest wildcat was slower than the slowest corn husker till last week. LOL Looked like the purple boys were moving in slow motion.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the info and PM. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and cool down a little.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts