Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my 10 year old son to his first DU green wings event on the 28th of sept. After shooting his sporting clays event, we found the archery range they had set up for kids. Well, my son loved it! We pretty much stayed on the archery range the rest of the day. My question would be, what would be a good beginner set-up that a 10 year old could grow with. Thanks for any info.

Dan

·
12 ring's and P&Y's
5,184 Posts
Kids bow

I bought my son a Martin Tiger with Z-cams(I thnk that is what they are)Anyway, they have 7" of draw range! Superbow for kids!Bowtec also has a Rascal that is suppose to be hot kids bow.Check them out.

Robert

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
stacey archery makes some nice kid bows

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
904FYTER;

10 year olds tend to have pretty short interest spans. You might want to consider finding a junior archery program (like JOAD) in your area and have him try it out for a while before you buy equipment. If it is a well run program he can have some fun, get some good coaching, and have fun with kids his age - and if anything making archery fun will help have him stick with it.

:)

-CG

·
Registered
852 Posts
2 years ago, I bought my daughter a Martin Tiger - now, at age 11, it's still shooting very well for her - I'll 2nd it's endorsement...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
719 Posts
Ian said:
stacey archery makes some nice kid bows

BUT THE OWNER DOES NOT CARE ABOUT KIDS AND ARCHERY OULY THE $$$$$$$$$

runawaysXs

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
I have been coaching JOAD for 7 years now at the oldest JOAD club in the USA. I, along with the coaches who ran this club before me, almost always suggest that a kid start with a lightweight recurve bow. The reasons are as follows

1) the bow will "fit"-compound bows sometimes don't, especially if the kid goes into a growth spurt

2) the draw of a recurve is a bit easier on a kid rather than the "hump" of a compound bow

3) other people can use the bow even if they have different draw lengths

4) it is very easy to switch to a compound if the child decides that they want to hunt or specialize in 3D. IN fact I believe that a kid who trains with a recurve for 2 years and changes to a compound will more often than not, beat a kid who starts with a compound.

5) you get more bow for the same money and used ones are easy to find

6) there is less to go wrong

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Check out the Parker line of bows, they have the Junior Mag for kids, and if he is a bigger sized 10 year old he may even fit into the Challenger. Parker offers the "grow with parker" program, they will update the draw length and the limbs for $50 as your son grows.

www.parkerbows.com

·
Banned
4,304 Posts
My 7 yr old son shoots a BowTech Rascal. Draw length is adjustable from 19-25". Draw weight, depending on limbs, is 15-40#. BowTech will upgrade limbs & strings as the child grows. One thing I've found to be important to kids is that the arrows stick in the target. Even at 16#, 19" draw, they do with the Rascal.

·
Registered
20,297 Posts
904 -

"What to get a 10 year old (boy)????"

A 9 year old girl ???

:D :D :D

'come on, somebody had to say it.

Seriously, I'd start him off with a recurve he can handle "fairly" easily. It's lighter in the hand, he'll develope form faster, and the draw lenght problem goes away. If he's to stay with it he has to really like it (the short attention span thing) and the way you present it, your "coaching" ability has to be on the mark.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Browning Micro Midas is a nice bow. My little brother, shot one for a couple years. He just moved up to a PSE something or other.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
If he want to learn good archery, a recurve bow is the way to go and it will be good for a long time.

If you want absolutly a compiund bow, go with the Mathews Genesis!

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
runawaysXs said:
BUT THE OWNER DOES NOT CARE ABOUT KIDS AND ARCHERY OULY THE $$$$$$$$$

runawaysXs
I don't care what the owner thinks. Just was looking and their kids bow looks nice.

·
Registered
436 Posts
there are many fine bows on todays market that are great youth bows, the main thing you will want to look for is adjustability in draw and wieght. kids grow fast and can change draw in just a couple of months, go to a local pro shop and ask to get his draw checked and see what they handle, if they do not handle any youth bows they can get you most from distributors that they deal with. Find a bow that they will start out on the shortest draw possible on the bow so they will get the most out of it for years of enjoyment, they bows I would recomend would be the browning micro midas and the martin tiger if they are planning on hunting also, if only going to target shoot take a look at the Genesis from mathews it is a great bow for target shooting and any of their friends will be able to shoot it also and this may recruit another potental archer to our great sport.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Genesiss Pro

The Genesiss pro has draw stops, adjustable, and shoots great. Thats where I started my son and my wife with compounds.:)

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have a 10yr old that shoots a Browning Micro Adrenline, he loves it, he been shooting it for a year.

The nice thing about it is the 10" adjustment on the cams, for the price I think it is a steal.:)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Stacey bows

Where can I see stacey bows, do they have a web site ??.

My boy shot a Martin Tiger last year when he was 10 years old ,(20-21" draw, 11 now, 22 -23 in. draw & still shooting it, will be shooting it next year probably at 24 in. draw. Its a nice bow with a machined anodized camo riser, the bow shoots very well & easy to draw with the mini Z cams. Goes from 17 - 24 in. draw
Pizonarcher. :)

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
I think I am goung with a recurve for my boy until he is a little older I bought him a pse jr bow and he has already outgrown the Draw length.

I am looking for suggestions for a bow too but I know I dont want to spend a lot on something he will out grow in a year or less.

the Matthews genesis is definately out

1 - 20 of 30 Posts