Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have $250 to spend at bass pro. Would you get a climbing tree stand or a laser rangefinder? I don't have either.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I would say range finder. It has probably quadrupled by success rate.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Climbing treestand. Makes you a lot more versatile on setting up -- if you're in an area that has some straight trees.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
The Rangefinder, no doubt! :thumbs_up :

Without question, one of THE most important pieces of hunting equipment you could ever own. Good luck and good huntin'

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
If you have no stands, get the climber, but if you have at least one or two hang ons or ladders, get the Nikon 440 and spend the remaining $40 on beer. Ask for the climber for Christmas. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Do you not have either one??? If not, I would favor the climbing treestand over the rangefinder, because they DO make you a more versatile hunter, but if you do have one, definitely the Rangefinder.

Or maybe both.....
$130 here:
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/cata...2627&hvarTarget=search&hvarAID=&cmCat=3337559

and $90 here
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/cata...3425&hvarTarget=search&hvarAID=&cmCat=3337559

Leaving a little left over for some goodies. But in all honesty, $250 can get you a very nice treestand, the one linked above isn't great, but it's workable if you're a pack mule willing to bear a load.

Good Luck with whatever you get

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I am leaning toward the rangefinder. I have a very nice ground set up and access to several tree stands where I hunt. Markch what mag do you edit for?

·
Team #28
5,828 Posts
If you have no permanent stands to hunt out of, this is a very easy choice............the climbing treestand. If you have plenty of stands (IN GOOD LOCATIONS) get the range finder.

My priority list in terms of hunting gear:

1) Bow
2) Arrows
3) Release
4) Tree Stand
5) Rangefinder

·
Registered
252 Posts
go with the tree stand

Both are great tools, but the stand is more crucial to a beginner.You can always mark out a few distances ahead of time with a small ribbon. You can practice estimating ranges and increase your skill at estimating ranges.The range finder is nice as long as the deer stand next to the object that you have ranged prior to the shot. You double you movement by trying to range a critter, and then draw undetected. Not to guess at your ability, but you are appear to be new to the sport, and may want to consider taking shots at 20 yards and in before you stretch out to longer distances that require the range finder. Use the left over money to buy a good full body harness so you can hunt for several more years. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Rangefinder

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dlgridge said:
Both are great tools, but the stand is more crucial to a beginner.You can always mark out a few distances ahead of time with a small ribbon. You can practice estimating ranges and increase your skill at estimating ranges.The range finder is nice as long as the deer stand next to the object that you have ranged prior to the shot. You double you movement by trying to range a critter, and then draw undetected. Not to guess at your ability, but you are appear to be new to the sport, and may want to consider taking shots at 20 yards and in before you stretch out to longer distances that require the range finder. Use the left over money to buy a good full body harness so you can hunt for several more years. Just my 2 cents.
But you are guessing at my ability. I am not new to the sport however have yet to take a deer with my bow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts