Archery Talk Forum banner

What to inspect on a dropped bow???

2299 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  cmherrmann
Ok I know here is a little back ground or prelude to the evening in question....

Well this past 4 days has been something of an experience. Out of bed Saturday morning to head out to hunt and phone rings. Figure it was my hunting bud, but find out instead it was my daughter calling to haul her to the hospital. She just had our third grandson the previous Tuesday. Got there hauled her in for what we thought was a major migrain, turned out much more serious. They treated her for a migrain and sent her home around 10'ish. Wife and I went back to the house and I headed out to my friends place to clear roads and hunt the evening hunt. Got back to the truck around 5'ish to grab up the bow and found I had a dozen or so messages, called and the kid was having seizures and was back in the ER. Changed to street clothes and headed in doing exactly the speed limit.

Got there and several hours later, found out that the migrain was actually viral meningitus. Not good. Not good at all. So we basically spent the night up there until they got her into ICU and ran us off. Up at dawn Sunday morning to check in and find not much change. Well I handle stress the best if I simply work so thats what I did, climbed on the tractor and begged off on the evening shift up at the hospital. I checked in periodically through the day and kept my 6 yr old grandson busy sighting in his rifle and making mom a short get well video. Everyone showed back up about 5'ish due to the closed couple of hours of visiting hours and I headed to the woods to take out a bit more frustration on some unsuspecting hog.

I admit I was stressed and tired but wanted to give it a go anyway, so after strapping on the harness up the ladder I went. Got up top and hooked off. Unshouldered the back pack, hung it and pulled up the bow. Removed the quiver from the side and stored it on a convienient limb, then knocked an arrow, and set the bow on the seat in front of me. Standing there, I was shooting a few yardages when I hear something making a noise in the leaves below. As soon as I started to look down I noticed the bow wasn't on the seat of the stand anymore. Somehow I had knocked it off as I turned to look for the noise and I watched it do two complete flips mid air and land flat on the ground in the leaves and dirt below the 16' stand. Heck the arrow was still knocked and almost still in a shooting position. I was pretty sick at this point.

I climbed down and inspected it as best as I could, removed the leaves from here and there and visually checked for anything bent. Everything looked to be good. I climbed back up and decided that just as a precaution I should at least check the sights out to 20yds which it hit right on with.

So with only that one shot through it is there anything I need to check or have checked before doing anymore shooting?

Now that the kid is out of ICU and hopefully on her way to a full recovery, I am back to a position to work on things and make sure that it is good to go. She is pressing the fact that she ruined my hunting and I keep telling her that she wasn't the one who dropped the bow, and if I hadn't dropped it she would have anything to gripe about cause I would be hunting. Just the way we get along, no way I could seriously hunt with her in the hospital. The only reason I went in the first place was so she would feel better.

Anyway sorry for the lengthly story but I do need to know about the bow. Any help would be appreciated. The bow is a Bowtech Tomkat if that makes any difference. Also please keep the brand related remarks to yourself, if it ain't gonna help with my issue I don't need it right now. Thanks.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
771 Posts
Ok I know here is a little back ground or prelude to the evening in question....

Well this past 4 days has been something of an experience. Out of bed Saturday morning to head out to hunt and phone rings. Figure it was my hunting bud, but find out instead it was my daughter calling to haul her to the hospital. She just had our third grandson the previous Tuesday. Got there hauled her in for what we thought was a major migrain, turned out much more serious. They treated her for a migrain and sent her home around 10'ish. Wife and I went back to the house and I headed out to my friends place to clear roads and hunt the evening hunt. Got back to the truck around 5'ish to grab up the bow and found I had a dozen or so messages, called and the kid was having seizures and was back in the ER. Changed to street clothes and headed in doing exactly the speed limit.

Got there and several hours later, found out that the migrain was actually viral meningitus. Not good. Not good at all. So we basically spent the night up there until they got her into ICU and ran us off. Up at dawn Sunday morning to check in and find not much change. Well I handle stress the best if I simply work so thats what I did, climbed on the tractor and begged off on the evening shift up at the hospital. I checked in periodically through the day and kept my 6 yr old grandson busy sighting in his rifle and making mom a short get well video. Everyone showed back up about 5'ish due to the closed couple of hours of visiting hours and I headed to the woods to take out a bit more frustration on some unsuspecting hog.

I admit I was stressed and tired but wanted to give it a go anyway, so after strapping on the harness up the ladder I went. Got up top and hooked off. Unshouldered the back pack, hung it and pulled up the bow. Removed the quiver from the side and stored it on a convienient limb, then knocked an arrow, and set the bow on the seat in front of me. Standing there, I was shooting a few yardages when I hear something making a noise in the leaves below. As soon as I started to look down I noticed the bow wasn't on the seat of the stand anymore. Somehow I had knocked it off as I turned to look for the noise and I watched it do two complete flips mid air and land flat on the ground in the leaves and dirt below the 16' stand. Heck the arrow was still knocked and almost still in a shooting position. I was pretty sick at this point.

I climbed down and inspected it as best as I could, removed the leaves from here and there and visually checked for anything bent. Everything looked to be good. I climbed back up and decided that just as a precaution I should at least check the sights out to 20yds which it hit right on with.

So with only that one shot through it is there anything I need to check or have checked before doing anymore shooting?

Now that the kid is out of ICU and hopefully on her way to a full recovery, I am back to a position to work on things and make sure that it is good to go. She is pressing the fact that she ruined my hunting and I keep telling her that she wasn't the one who dropped the bow, and if I hadn't dropped it she would have anything to gripe about cause I would be hunting. Just the way we get along, no way I could seriously hunt with her in the hospital. The only reason I went in the first place was so she would feel better.

Anyway sorry for the lengthly story but I do need to know about the bow. Any help would be appreciated. The bow is a Bowtech Tomkat if that makes any difference. Also please keep the brand related remarks to yourself, if it ain't gonna help with my issue I don't need it right now. Thanks.
Man, I am sorry to tell you this.... You are going to have to buy a new bow.:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

Seriously. If nothing looks bent or is broken, Limbs aren't cracked and cams aren't rotated or bent and the string wasn't cut, I probably wouldn't worry about it. If the sights are still hitting out to 40 yards then nothing structural changed very much.

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Sounds like your ok bro. Take it to a dealer just to be safe though. I would just for the peace of mind :darkbeer:

· Registered
25,353 Posts
i droped my bow from a 20 foot pinetree hit alot of branches on the way down they hitt 2 narrow branches and got hung up. it shoots fine still and not even a chip or scratch in the paint. just check the limbs and riser. maybe have someone at a pro shop take a gander.

it shouldnr be to bad.

· Registered
2,238 Posts
We've seen 2 bad things happen to dropped bows; the first, and most damaging, is having a cam or wheel race rim crushed or broken off. The second is having the strings jump off the races due to a limb compressing when the bow hits the ground. It doesn't sound like your bow hit hard enough to cause any damage. This is far more common since a lot of hunting areas have a soft floor with a lot of high grass and brush to cushion a drop. If your bow didn't make any noise other than a dull thud; you're probably OK. Check the cam races for bends or breaks on the rims. If everything looks good, go hunting. Just shooting a compound bow puts a lot of directional strain on all the parts. Any of them are strong enough to survive a drop as long as the bow doesn't hit a rock or part of the stand on the way down.

· Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, thats pretty much what I was thinking. The area below the stand has several inches of leaf and below is soft sand. Still, it didn't do me much good on top of everything else going on. The one arrow I did shoot was the one that took the ride down with it and that dang thing was a bugger to pull out.

I will be hauling it over to the shop tomorrow afternoon just to be sure.

Thanks again,

· Registered
5,465 Posts
Glad your daughter is OK, and the bow should also be OK. As others have said if it still shoots well out to 40 yards or more and everything looks good you should be fine. Now go out and shoot a big one so your daughter is happy!:wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.