Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shooting for about 7 years but he past three have really been a big step forward for me. I'm in to hunting never really considered tournaments till winter came and I've been shooting at the local shop. They have been harassing me to sign up for some this summer. I've talked to them but would like to get more people's opinions on competitive 3d shoots in general. What to look for in equipment, "tips of the trade," considerations, so on so on.. Any help or thoughts would really be appreciated

· Registered
683 Posts
Just do it. Take your rig you have now and a pair of binocs then go have fun. Maybe some ranfefinders if the club allows just to get used to judging targets.

· Registered
137 Posts
just do it !!! you will love it. It will take some time, if ever, to get everything setup the way you want. If you are a competitive person you will strive to get better. Don't spend too much money on setup at first, your wants will change as you get better. you will find archers are a great group of guys and are willing to help along the way.

· Registered
996 Posts
Yup, just do it. Hunter class is great for that. Most likely you can be competetive with your current set up, maybe an arrow change if you feel fat shafts will help you. It's great fun, and it'll help all your hunting situations, constant shooting will help form plus keep the nerves at bay when you have a nice buck walking in.

· Registered
1,769 Posts
Just do it, have fun and don't take it to serious at first. After a few shoots you will be comfortable and find judging distance will come a little more naturall to you. It becomes very addictive, and you won't find better practice for hunting.

· Registered
9,911 Posts
Op, I just went to a 3d shoot yesterday. Haven't shot at one in 10 years. Like you I'm been focused on hunting more. Regardless, I had a blast!!!!! I took my hunting rig and shot in the hunting class. Can't wait for the next one in a few weeks. Go and have fun!!!

· Registered
829 Posts
Go and have fun. I just use my bow that I hunt with. 8.5" stab, single pin slider. I chose to move my pin so I can't shoot hunter class but the farther shots are more fun! Don't care if I win, I just do my best and have won a few club shoots. It's a great way to keep your skill level good and I think it helps with the pressure you feel when in hunting situations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.