Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to archery and would greatly appreciate some advice. I’m looking for a good all around compound bow for indoor, field and 3D. I’m leaning towards purchasing the following bow and accessories. Is this a good setup? Please feel free to offer any suggestions. Thanks

Bow: Hoyt UltraTec XT2000 Cam & ½ (Target)
50 – 60 # (26 to 28.5 draw)
Rest: Hoyt Q.T, 3000
Sight: Sure loc Supreme 9” with Titan Scope
Stabilizer: Easton A/C/E VRS
Release: Scott Longhorn III Back Tension

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
It sounds very reasonable. I wonder about the arrow rest, however....

And what about your arrows?

kgk

·
Registered
870 Posts
I recommend the Ultratec with Xt 3000 limbs. I would order it with the spiral cam 1/2. I t has a very short valley but with the right draw length and a back tension release you will have no problem shooting it. I have a 27 in draw and at 5 grains per lb I am getting right at 290 fps but I only shoot 282 fps to be legal in Asa. I am shooting 62 lbs and my arrow weighs 327 grains. I am getting 1 inch groups at 50 yards and at 60 yards about the same.
This set up not only gives you 41 inch axle to axle it also gives you the speed for 3D and the brace height "7 3/8" needed for forgiveness. This is an awesome set up. I do not beleive there is a better bow than this or unless you have the draw length for the protec and I would still have to argue the point. The UT. won the Indoor nationals and Vegas.
About half of the Hoyt pro shooters shoot the spiral cam and the other shoot the cam 1/2 so either cam is excellent. Shorter draw people will be better off with the spiral because of the speed issue. Not only that the spiral cam has a draw stop so the wall is very hard so there will not be any over drawing the bow. The only thing bad about the spiral cam is ; there is no draw length adjustments so order how you need it but you have to make sure that you are not still tossing your draw length around. You have to be sure of your draw length. You can only order the cam in inch or 1/2 inch increments if you need it to be in the 1/4 increment you will have to twist or un twist cables or strings. It is a very awesome cam and Bow.

I like the rest of your set up but I would make sure you shoot a lizard tongue style arrow rest. The rest needs some give to it nothing hard.
Jame

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I have the XT3000 limbs on my UT, and they are certainly very nice. :)

I think that a spiral cam is perfect for a *second* Hoyt bow, i.e., after you have the first one exactly figured out and perfectly configured.

For example, my pro shop ordered my UT at 28.0", but between my D-loop, "high" grip, and more Korean-like stance (over time), I've crawled up to 29.0" (the limit of the cam and a half adjustment), and could even use 0.25" more... if I had a spiral cam, I would have been toast!

But now I could get my 2004 bow with a spiral cam at 29.0", I suspect.

kgk

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
Looks nice for an all around bow. Get the Dave Cousins best launcher for the rest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts