Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my son a new bare bow and what would you rather spend more money on and what is more important a sight or rest?
I do have certain products in mind.

·
GO UTES!!! ml_lm
8,256 Posts
Neither, they're both vital...one allows you to aim & puts you on target, the other is the last thing your arrow touches on it's way to the target.

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,101 Posts
Does he have a rest and a sight already and you are going to upgrade?

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
field & stream did a article on whisker bisquit vs. drop away rest. surprisingly not much speed or accuracy was lost with whisker bisquit! I know I cant shoot as good as my equipment is capable of! I have a QAD hdx drop away rest and love it! check here on classified and get both used like new within your budget

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it's a bare bow so need to outfit it. Whisker bisquit ($40) and the QAD ($60-$140) are my to options for rest's. This is his first big boy bow a Hoyt charger and went a little over budget with this bow so would really like to spend more money on one rather then both for now.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
Need more info. How old is your son? Which bow does he have? Do you plan on him keeping it or getting something different when he learns to shoot?
How much do you want to spend?

·
Registered
601 Posts
For upgrade I would say sight over rest.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I would buy the good rest, it actually contacts the arrow, cheaper sights generally have less features like micro adjust, sound dampening, ability not as bright fibers… a basic sight like a true glow once locked down generally is very reliable and affordable. Then down the line you can upgrade if so desired.

What ever you do stay away from the QAD hunter, it just does not have the quality or reliability that the other QADs have.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
SARASR agree totally. Was thinking about the QAD hunter and will take it off the list.
Ha had to edit a little (sight "stay up at rest" clearly dod not apply)

the Hunter has had a lot of trouble posted on here, and I had one on my sons bow kept having contact, switched to a Limbdriver and not one problem. That said if a whisker bisket is in the running they are affordable and reliable, though not my style.
I started my son without sights he still loved popping balloons all the same, but that was at 6-7.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I really like the whisker biscuit for the kids. Keep it simple, nothing moves, and less to break. My daughter has one and we're happy with it so far. She shot for the first few weeks with no sight at all. Just worked on form.

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,101 Posts
I really like the whisker biscuit for the kids. Keep it simple, nothing moves, and less to break. My daughter has one and we're happy with it so far. She shot for the first few weeks with no sight at all. Just worked on form.
For a kid this is correct.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Get a wisker biscuit. He's too young to worry about fps. The simplicity at this point is alot more important than the slight benefits and headaches. A sight can last as long as you treat it well.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm thinking whisker biscuit and a spott hogg bulletproof. Thanks
I'd agree with the whisker biscuit but I would opt for a different sight myself.....I'd pick a Copper John Dead Nuts or similar sight with a level if you want to stay in the sub $100 price bracket....you want him to get used to using a level right off....it's much easier to learn from the get go then try to get someone used to it later on in my opinion and a level is critical for accuracy. My $.02

Don't get me wrong I'm extremely impressed with Spot Hogg and have one on my bow myself but I really don't like sights that lack a level.

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,064 Posts
No it's a bare bow so need to outfit it. Whisker bisquit ($40) and the QAD ($60-$140) are my to options for rest's. This is his first big boy bow a Hoyt charger and went a little over budget with this bow so would really like to spend more money on one rather then both for now.
Whisker biscuits are just as accurate as a fall away like a qad rest, Pigman proved that on his youtube video. I shoot a QAD and love it but if I was budgeting I would not have any problems using a biscuit!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I would spend the money on the sight first. You can always buy a Wisker Biscuit rest as they are inexpensive, never fail and will serve a young first time hunter well as well as take the occasional bump and bang the bow might see from a young person.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Get a Trophyridge Revolution rest,every bit as good as any other dropaway{have them on 3 hunting bows},full containment,fast enough for an Omen,easy to set up and $55 bucks.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts