Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had success rattleing but not much with my grunt call. I have a 6 in 1 call from fawn to mature buck but seem to have no luck with it.
What do you guys use and what type of calling patterns do you use?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
I have never had any deer respond to any call, any rattle, any lure for that matter... Don't know why but I just don't see the deer behavior like on TV and described in Deer hunter mags...:confused:

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
You might want to ask this same question in the bowhunting forum here on Archery Talk for more responses. ;)

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,430 Posts
"Yes Dear, no Dear"... Hmmm, I may have misunderstood the question :)

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I think that all the "hunting gadgets" work differntly on ever deer, every area and every season. I use a can call and a True Talker. They both work great in my neck of the woods. Two years ago, I called in a buck that was trailing a doe with the can call. Last year. I called in the biggest buck I have ever seen hunting using a combo of the can and True Talker.

I have had deer come straight to me in a full sprint and others circle around and take 1/2 hour come in. If you are in an area that gets heavy pressure and a lot of calling, I would think that deer get call shy similar to turkey.

I have had no luck with rattling. Don't even bother taking horns in the field any more, but wouldn't leave home without my can and grunt call.

I live in NY and I find that calling works generally from November 1 through about November 20. After that/before that, I have very little luck with calls. In between those times the calls are deadly. Just like most things with hunting...you have to find what works for you in the area you hunt. I have been hunting the same piece of land for 17 years, and I still learn something new every year that helps me get closer to the big ones. Keep working at it and try differnt combinations. You will find out what does/doesn't work for you. Just because it didn't work on this deer, or this time, doesn't mean it won't work on the next.

Log your results and keep track of them from year to year. You will find a patter.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
primos cans are what i use...have had good luck in the past with them:D

·
Registered
852 Posts
Put me down as another fan of the True Talker - I've called in, and taken lots of deer with one... I've had the opportunity to hear quite a few deer making vocalizations in the wild, and the True Talker sounds more realistic than any call I've seen yet... I mostly use fawn calls, doe bleats and grunts, and immature buck grunts - depending on when in the season it is - and the individual deer I'm attempting to call in... I've rattled in a few, but in my part of NY, rattling doesn't usually work all that well(too many does)...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
392 Posts
Oh well..

Usually..HONEY=when I want something,...WOMAN=for all other reason's and I don't know if this would be considered a call or not...I use a GRUNT SOUND= after I got what I wanted,only because......oh...well,never mind.Hope this helped.>>---skip--->

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I have more luck with the doe bleat in the prerut, in the rut, the buck grunt, tending grunt works fairly good for me. I cannot get the primos can with the fawn bleat to work for me at all. I have had a fawn bleat can of another brand and used it more times then I would like to admit, with no results at all.
3dmama- Can you give up your secret as how to use the Primos can and be successful, do you bring in bucks or does, coyotes, or anything else. I would be very interested to find out how to properly use the fawn bleat, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Not much luck rattling here in Iowa, but the primos can and the true talker go with me every time I hunt.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Curious why you guys use the can with the true talker instead of just making the can bleats on your true talker?

I messed with a can at Walmart, can duplicate the sound on my TT without any problems...

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
don't try this

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE, Bambi, Bambi, Bambi!:D Oh, did I mention I havn't KILLED a deer this year, yet.:p

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Rangeball said:
Curious why you guys use the can with the true talker instead of just making the can bleats on your true talker?

I messed with a can at Walmart, can duplicate the sound on my TT without any problems...
I just think it is easier and produces the same bleat every time, whereas with the TT you have to make sure the tube is compressed the same each time. I do use the TT for some bleats in conjuntion with grunts in a series, but if it is just some occassional bleats and grunt, I still prefer the can. JMHO

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'll probably pick up a can call for the above mentioned reason.(consistancy)
I went to the stand last weekend and sat for hours without a deer.as I was leaving to go home,I heard a doe bleat.(a real doe)
I came back later that evening and gave a couple of blows on my el-cheapo "adjust-a-grunt" and drew in some turkeys. :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
wk, I guess I'm weird. I keep my TT in my car, practice every time I drive somewhere, getting some pretty strange looks... :) I typically do this every year a month or so before the season opens to get back in the groove.

I look at is as an instrument. So far so good.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Rangeball said:
wk, I guess I'm weird. I keep my TT in my car, practice every time I drive somewhere, getting some pretty strange looks... :) I typically do this every year a month or so before the season opens to get back in the groove.

I look at is as an instrument. So far so good.
Dont worry, the console in my truck is filled with goose calls:D

·
Registered
91 Posts
camogr said:
I've had success rattleing but not much with my grunt call. I have a 6 in 1 call from fawn to mature buck but seem to have no luck with it.
What do you guys use and what type of calling patterns do you use?

Thanks
i use only the bleat in heat,ihave incredible success with it.ive used grunt calls with limited success.ive only called in does with antlers.it may be because where i live in wva the buck to doe ratio is very unbalanced.

·
Registered
304 Posts
deer sign .i make signs shaped like a arrow with the word deer pointing toward the hunter's tree stand .made about 20 just for a laugh one of my buddy's used it got his buck now he won't hunt without it funny.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Usually it's just used as a last resort, when deer have slipped past or will pass out of range unless they turn. I don't do a lot of it, but have rattled in a couple nice bucks with Lohmans double rattle box and grunted in a couple with those little tiny Mad Calls that Roger Raglin uses. To me they're a weird sound, but the deer do respond to them. I also carry a grunt tube for more range.

MOST of my calling while in a tree is of the nature, "Please God, I'll be good and never swear again. Just a nice big 10 or 12 pointer. One time. Please"!!!:rolleyes: It doesn't work.:(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts