Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to know what kind of communication you guys or gals in here use when hunting with a partner. Last year me and my hunting buddy tried to use walkie talkies but we were having problems with getting traffic from a highway that is two miles away from us on the cb's. We are trying cell phones this year as a way to tell each other if we see something coming from either direction. we are hunting a big alfalfa field tha the deer use as a highway between two big cornfields. btw, we have the phones on vibrate only. FYI, don't stick the phone in your front pocket of your pants or else you might get aroused and fall out of your treestand!!!!:p :p :p

·
Registered
354 Posts
Smoke signals:D

Just kidding, we use motorola radios on vibrate,But I tend to have mine on "off" more than anything else. I dont like distractions. I feel bowhunting isnt a tag team sport.;) Others in my group like to "check in" periodically but I prefer using them once at a set time during the middle of the day 12:00 or so and then again at the end of the day to tell everyone that you need help dragging out your 300lb 18 pt!! Good luck

Ryan

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
I (personally) would have an ethical problem of me using radios or cell phones to tell another hunter - HERE HE COMES!!

I do carry a cell phone for emergency purposes though.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
willie

We are not using them for the here he comes thing because we practically know everything about them except for where their bedding areas. We are approximately 250 yards straight across from each other. They start walking from my friends side to my side going from field to field. I mainly use my phone for picking out good quality sized does that come out where he is sitting. I do too have a problem with the here he comes thing for the fact of "fair stalking". I'm trying this year to do some QDM as we have a 8:1 ratio of does versus bucks. Also I'm donating 2 out of the 3 does I plan to get this year to FHFH (farmers and hunters feeding the hungry).

·
Registered
899 Posts
HERE IN OHIO THEY ARE ILLEAGAL!

A Hunter CANNOT do any of the following:

13. Use any device capable of transmitting or receiving a
person’s voice to aid in the hunting or taking of deer.

MY TAKE IS, I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEM. TO ME IT SEEMS TO BE A SAFE THING TO HAVE.

THANKS DOUG

·
Registered
830 Posts
I believe in NY that would be illegal. To use radio or phones while hunting to spot and let other know where the game is. Just wondering if it is legal in your state.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Here in Wyoming we drink a little whisky around the fire in the evening and tell each other what kind of day we had. Then, we hunt in opposite directions alone the next day. Fair chase it's called.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
damn guys i was just asking, sorry if i ruffled anyones feathers. here in kansas we have hardly any laws governing deer hunters. we can bait if its a naturally grown substance in kansas like corn or even apples. All i wanted to know was a simple i use cb's or i use cellphones or i don't use anyting at all. One question i do have is if its illegal in certain states to have cellphones with you hunting, what happens if you have no means of communication to the outside world, you fall out of your treestand and break your leg? are you supposed to wait forever till someone realizes that you are not home? thanks for the people that said what they used. hunt safe not stupid.;)

·
Registered
450 Posts
we use our cell phones on vibrate, also. before the hunt we will program the others' phone numbers into them . our use is mainly to let others know we are going to need help dragging one out or something like that. they have been reall helpfull in finding someone who got turned around in a big woods a couple times. i don't see anything wrong with that if they are used discretely, thye could help save someone's life if an accident were to happen. i think it's foolish to go into the woods with another hunter and have no means of communication at all.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Cell phone and Motorola walkie-talkies. I check in with my hunting buddy every hour. Not so much for a "here he comes" type of thing, but more of a "I JUST FELL OUT OF MY TREESTAND AND CAN'T GET BACK UP!" type of thing. Cell coverage is spotty to non existent in the area I hunt so the walkie talkie give that extra measure of security.

In the event you get one, it is also nice to call for some aid to drag that baby out.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hahahaha, i love the treestand comment!! did you by chance have yours in your frontpocket?!?!?! opening day for us was wednesday this week and I called my hunting bud cause i seen in my boni's that he was getting sort of attacked by squirrels. he felt the vibration in his front pocket and damn near fell out! even though he is tied to the tree he said it scared the hell out of him. I doubt that would ever happen just for the fact he is as full of B.S. as i am. thanks for your input redline and the others replying.

·
Registered
852 Posts
"I believe in NY that would be illegal. To use radio or phones while hunting to spot and let other know where the game is."

I'm pretty sure you're mistaken about that... There is no NYS hunting regulation regarding radio or phone use while hunting, to the best of my knowledge...

willie - and this is not meant as an attack of any sort, but I think it's pretty ironic that a guy who is ALL for crossbow use during bow season thinks that using radios to hunt with is un-ethical - I thought you were ALL about letting others hunt as THEY see fit??? - I guess that only covers methods you approve of, huh - just an observation...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Motorola radios! when you are hunting in the mountains of arkansas you need some kind of communication....its easy to slip and fall anywhere from 10' to 200' where we hunt and lots of rocks to slip on! I wonder if hunting around rocks is unethical???Hmmmmm!! Its not fair chase if you can't RUN after em????huh? (without falling anyway)

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Georgestrings,

Not to start another "crossbow debate" but my crossbow doesn't hunt for me (I've got to do that all by myself) and it certainly wont tell me when one is headed my way.

Ethics are personal just like I said..

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
As doug said, here in Ohio, they're illegal if used for deer hunting purposes.

However, I carry one for assistance/ emergency needs, but it's off while I hunt. I wouldn't want it to ring while I was hunting. :mad:

If a hunting partner and I are on the ground and are still hunting in pairs and/ or are just communicating information or our intentions, we use hand signals simular to that of the special forces teams. It really comes in handy, but it has to be something that you've worked out with your hunting partner before hand. :cool:

We prefer not to talk out loud. The human voice can be heard quite a distance. Human hearing fails very short in comparison to the game that we hunt. :rolleyes:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
motorola's , not to let the other know here comes a deer, we use them to shoot the s**t every hour or so ,but we don't have long conversations.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
I hunt alone most of the time. I do carry a Motorola DPS radio and have a check in time with my wife. It is for her peace of mind. I keep it off while hunting and after dark I will call her to let her know what time to expect me in, or it going to be late I got lucky.

When hunting with a partner, again for elk, I do use hand signals to my partner if more that a few yards away. I look at him and touch my glasses if I saw movement or something. My partner knows to stop 1 of us knocks an arrow. If the elk was a bull and legal, We hold 1 hand on top of our head with fingers spread, 1 finger up if a spike and rub the top of our head if a cow. There are other hand signals we use for hearing something seeing something walk, run or bounce out of view. And the hand signal I'm going over there you over there finger pointing. Other hand signals we use are, rake a tree, cow call, bugle (big ,small bull).

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
i use two way radios they work great and are good to 2 to 5 miles depending on terrain
rob k

1 - 20 of 21 Posts