Archery Talk Forum banner

What type of release have you shot your highest scores with?

• Back tension (hinge type)

Votes: 72 35.1%
  • Back tension (resistance activated)

Votes: 15 7.3%
  • Thumb trigger

Votes: 64 31.2%
  • Finger trigger

Votes: 54 26.3%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me once I got the hang of it (after 2 years) It was back tension.

Just wondering if this is the dominant leader.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
a1hoyt.ca

I shoot either a Scott Wildcat or a Scott Rhino Xt. Medium spring I shoot in the mid to low 290's on 5 spots indoor. My higherst score on a 3-d course is 398 out of 440 it was on the IBO course in Oregon a few years back. On a practice round on a 3 spot vegus target I shot a 296 but it did not count. I shot a 416 useing my range finder 2 yrs. ago useing the IBO scoreing @ one of our local shoots with a couple of my buddies I love my range finder I do not leave home with out it.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't use a trigger, once my finger finds out it's there- it just keeps punching it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thumb

My target 4 has been really good to me! Also love my target 3 and insatiable 3... But I dont hesitate to break out my hinge when Im gettin quick with the triggers.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Truball ultra 3 hinge here. I attribute all of it to learning PROPER bt tho, not the release itself. I went from a 296 31x high punching to a 300 55x. I credit every x above that 31 to making consistant bt shots. It's the only way for ME to shoot that well IMHO.

I don't think the release should be counted as much as the method. In fact u should start that thread! I'd say punching, squeezing the trigger, push pull, and true bt(not push pull) should be the catagories. In it I would ask that they tell their method and honest high score along with what release type. That IMHO would be a more accurate thread on which is more accurate IMO(not saying ur thread ain't good enuff for me;))

I'd make it but I'm on my phone haha

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
I have only ever shot hinge and pure tension releases so my best score have been shot with these. Some with a hinge some with pure tension.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Carter HT2000 Pinky activated

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
My highest score was with a Scott Silverhorn. Since I have switched to a Stan SX-2 Trio and my scores didnt improve at all but I made a switch to a Stan Shootoff Deuce and my shooting has gotten alot better so my scores should improve. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I shot good scores with the evo+, but better scores with my[ only] hinge.

·
Registered
294 Posts

I think the finger trigger has an inflated profile in that poll if only because its the most popular. I want a Just Because release but its pricey and the Stinger is doing just terrific. I know Id score higher with a thumb, but for now the finger thing is ok.

My feeling is this...

If you gave everyone every type of release, all in one bundle for six months.
I beleive at the end of that time you'd find a lot more thumb releases fans and less finger... probably half the finger shooters you see listed for that type as of now.

Id like to comment on the back release, but I havent shot it ever and thatd be unfair to say.

Man I love that Just Because... but it takes some respect in order to be safe with it.

Pete

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Trubal Cyclone w/ buckle(back tension method) & 2 finger stan original :eek:uch:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts